Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Webbing or Wonder Under? >

Fusible Webbing or Wonder Under?

Fusible Webbing or Wonder Under?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Fusible Webbing or Wonder Under?

First time applique here. I have a paper template of Sunbonnet Sue. It shows a 1/4" seam allowance on the paper template. I have already cut out and applied Wonder Under to the pieces of one Sue. But I guess I should have used the fusible interfacing and turn the pieces. Right? I will be doing a whole quilt using the Sues. I see a bunch of Sue quilts where a satin stitch was used with the wonder under. I suppose I can go either way, right? If I do go with the wonder under, do I cut at the solid lines or do I cut at the seam allowance perforated line? They are going onto a 12" white fabric block. Also I've seen some quilts with the blanket stitch or satin stitch. Please help get me started! Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

it's my preference to turn under the seam allowances for quilts that will be frequently washed. for others, fusible and blanket stitch will be fine. even with fusible and edge stitches, the applique still sometimes ravels. jmho
Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

If you are going to use wonder under and blanket stitch the edges, then you cut directly on the line of the finished shape UNLESS the pieces go under other pieces. If a piece goes under another applique shape you must leave a 1/4 inch seam allowance to go under the piece that goes on top. You will need to make a master plan for yourself on which pieces get stitched down first (bottom) and then the order of pieces that get stitched on top.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 AM

There are a few options you have (I just finished a SBS quilt for my niece):
1) It sounds like it's designed for turned edge/needleturn applique. You could certainly do it needle turn & get a beautiful result. I finished 12 SBS boy/girl dolls via needleturn in 20 hours, so it's not as huge of a project as one might think.
2) You can do turned edge with freezer paper (which is removed before stitching); or you can even set your seams using mylar template plastic (make sure it's mylar, or else it will melt when ironed over). As Tartan mentioned, the parts that go under another part (for me, that was only the top of the dress going under the bonnet, part of the glove going under the sleeve, and part of the boy's overalls going under the sleeve), you want to leave that part unturned to reduce bulk.
3) You can cut everything on the inside line (with or without the extra where they overlap), window some Wonder Under (or my favorite: Misty Fuse) -- cutting away all but the outer 1/2" of the shape -- and fuse it. To make things easier on yourself, I'd make units of some of the pieces. For example, I'd fuse and stitch the hat band (if there is one) to the hat/bonnet before fusing the bonnet to the background. Same thing with the sleeve/glove on the dress & any decorative band that may be on the dress.

One other tip: I've learned to cut my background squares 1/2" larger than what the pattern calls for as some of the fabric can be taken up in the applique process. So if a square finishes at 10", I'd normally need 10.5" to do my seam allowances. With an applique block, I'd actually cut my background squares at 11" and then trim them to 10.5" when I finish the applique. Make sure to mark the center of your block & start all work in the center. It happens less with fusible than with needleturn, but I've had it happen with both methods & there's nothing more frustrating than putting all that work into a block & finding it's 1/8 - 1/4" too small.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 AM

You are wonderful, all of you! I saw a tutorial on the freezer paper mentioned by Bree (thank you) and will go that route.
There are so many different methods and it is confusing!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Just a little tip about Wonder Under - do not even try to hand sew through it!!! If you're going to hand appliqué with turned-under edges you don't need any kind of fusible at all. If you just want to fuse the pieces down and then cover the edges with a blanket stitch, satin stitch or??? Just use a good quality but soft fusible - for example Lite Steam-A-Seam2. The soft fusible will make a better quilt or whatever you might be making. Some fusible are stiff and make the end product unacceptable. And make sure you have not added any seam allowances with doing fusible appliqué. If you have already,applied a fusible and your pieces have the seam added I suggest you make a paper or,plastic pattern of your,pieces and use these templates to trim the seam allowances off. Otherwise yiurmpieces will look big and perhaps a bit,wonky.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC - I've been hand appliquing since 1989