Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fusible....what >

fusible....what

fusible....what

Old 11-12-2015, 02:36 PM

Default fusible....what

Hi everyone.............I want to try something different. There is a kit on sale through Connecting Threads that I think I want to try. It is Baubles Throw Quilt Kit.....here is my problem...what is this fusible appl. stuff and why are they saying I need so much of it. I would have to order this as well and its only in packs of 9x12 sheets at a high cost. Even it I went to Fabricland I know they would charge me through the nose........all these high prices sure takes the fun out of it...............
Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

If you have any shops nearby see if you can pick up something similar.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Fusible appliqué is a glue fusible that is ironed to the back of the fabric so you can stick in onto a background fabric. There are lots different kinds. I like Wonderunder but there is Mistryfuse, Heat and Bond Lite as well as others. The main things is make sure the fusible is recommended for machine appliqué.
Regular Heat and Bond should never be used if you intend to sew over it. It will gum in your needle if you can even get the machine to sew through it. Nasty!
Old 11-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

If you are not familiar with fusible applique, I would look at some you tube videos to see what the process is all about before you purchase the kit. Looking at the picture, you probably fuse all the circles on the background fabric which is why you would need a lot.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-12-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:06 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If you are not familiar with fusible applique, I would look at some you tube videos to see what the process is all about before you purchase the kit. Looking at the picture, you probably fuse all the circles on the background fabric which is why you would need a lot.
I agree with PaperPrincess. I have done lots of fusible applique and have used many different products depending if it is for a wallhanging or a bed quilt. If I were you I would buy a small amt of several different kinds and try them out. Remember to get directions for fusing for each kind as they are all different. I use lite SteamASeam the most.

Last edited by grammysharon; 11-12-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

You can purchase paper back fusibles like heat n bond lite or steam a seam lite or wonder under at Joanne's or hobby lobby by the yard, it is fairly inexpensive. I buy it by the bolt from fabric.com, they sell it by the yard also.
You trace your applique shapes onto the paper side, fuse it to the wrong side of the fabrics, cut out the shapes on the drawn lines, remove the paper, place the applique shapes onto the background fabric, fuse into place then stitch around. I use a small blanket stitch or small zigzag most of the time.

Last edited by ckcowl; 11-12-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:27 PM

In Canada, the fabric stores like Fabricland or Len's Mill store sell various fusibles by the yard, which is often a cheaper way to buy it.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

price fusible at Connectingthreads too. I'm sure they have it in larger cuts or pkgs too. Hope so anyway.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Usually when I am making circles like that, I use the lightweight fusible interfacing. You can get it probably when it is on sale at half off at JAF. Eleanor Burns does a lot of her applique that way. This method tucks in the edge so no raw edges.