Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FW - What is is and why is it so Great? >

FW - What is is and why is it so Great?

FW - What is is and why is it so Great?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:37 PM

:oops: Seen several threads about FW. Excuse my ignorance, but what is FW and what makes it so good to have? :?:
Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

It is very light wt. It is small and compact and is a work horse. You can google it and get lots of information. Mine is pre 1940. part of my machine's serial is missing so I don't know its exact age. It has all metal parts and will not wear out in my lifetime. I love it. She is my back up machine and Sit n sew/class machine.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Featherweight--made by Singer
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
It is very light wt. It is small and compact and is a work horse.
And, they are cute too!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:47 PM

A FW is a singer Feather Weight sewing machine that is light weight and very portable. They sew a very straight seam. I love mine. Type feather weight under search and you will have all kinds of picutres and info.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Now, there are new Featherweights and vintage FW. You will most often hear us raving about the vintage ones.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
And, they are cute too!
That's a good reason right there. Even my husband agrees on this.

:lol:
Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 PM

If you are able to look at FWs (Singer Featherweights, models 221 and 222-free arm) and walk away, good for you. I always wanted one, but never had one. Then I bought 2 in one day, and I have one coming from Britain tomorrow, God willing. I've got the fever. Also, I think they are social and somehow attract each other. People seem to have collections. Why? They have a fabulous straight stitch. They are portable and cute. They are made to last forever, before the days of things being made intentionally to wear out or become obsolete, thus necessitating another purchase. The owner can learn to service them. They are part of sewing history. They are light and compact enough to carry to classes despite being all metal. The decals (gold trim) and metal face plates are beautiful. They came in the cutest cases. There were ingenious accessories to do all kinds of operations with just a straight stitch. We could go on and on... They can be found for $20 at rummage sales or for $500-600 fully restored, more for special editions or the 222 freearms. So they are accessible to the budget sewist, unlike some other machines. Other older machines are also collectible, like Singers 66, 99, 201, 301, and more plus the Elna Lotus, many more... Watch out or you'll get SMAD from this board, highly contagious and not prevented by the most complex antivirus computer systems.