Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gah! angles and triangles and maddness! please help! >

gah! angles and triangles and maddness! please help!

gah! angles and triangles and maddness! please help!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 AM

Default gah! angles and triangles and maddness! please help!

this is the current status of my latest project. since taking the picture i have reset some of the triangles and considerably reduced those wavy borders. it's much flatter now...not perfect but close enough for me :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334302[/ATTACH]

i want to set it to look like this, minus jinny's fancy taper and multiple borders. i really just want to square off the whole star, so i need to figure out how to make those corner set pieces which jinny has completed by piecing two triangles. being jinny her pattern has a template and of course the angles are perfect but jinny i ain't so....:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334303[/ATTACH]

how would you go about it? i asked earlier and someone suggested machine applique, but i want to hand quilt it so the extra layer of fabric plus the fusible interface isn't going to work. (i've never done machine applique so there's that little challenge too!)

what i need to do is remember grade ten math and how to use a protractor and a ruler set, but since that's unlikely and gives me hives to even contemplate, i'm asking you how you might tackle such a task.

thanks for your advice!

aileen
Attached Thumbnails 7151324021_35b1b12beb_b.jpg   32f2803a-d3a3-f7c0-47a8ba02607b1b93.jpg  

Last edited by stillclock; 05-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Put the top on a large piece of paper. Draw/trace the shape you need the setting triangles to be and add the seam allowance. No headache math needed. Women who can not read or write can make beautiful quilt patterns so no use making it hard, just think about what it needs to be to work.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

BellaBoo has a good suggestion, actually. Also, re-orient the star a bit so that two pints are pointing straight up rather than the one. That will give you a square shape to complete in the corners. Looks good!

Jan in VA
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Actually, if you've managed to get the star as far as you have, I think you will manage to use the two triangles for the setting - it looks to me like that would be the most logical - and easiest was to make it 'square' if you want it oriented like Jinny's.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM

I would divide the corners into two pieces, ie; on Jinny's, make one seam from the northwest star point out to the corner (on the diagonal). The other one, the north one, will be more tricky unless you leave more room between the upper star point and the border. You may have to plan ahead for where your border print will get disrupted, at the meeting places I mean, so that the disruption is symmetrical all the way around. I don't know if this helps any. You may also consider assembling the whole corner section before attaching to the octagon. Good luck. Please show us the finished project.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM

(((Aileen)))) After talking with you in the room last night, I did the math and posted the diagrams for your pattern piece as a *new thread* as I didnt know your posts here existed LOL. Here is the link to my diagram:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t188719.html