Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Garage/Tag Sales >

Garage/Tag Sales

Garage/Tag Sales

Old 06-12-2016, 05:32 AM

My guild had a sale where we donated items we no longer needed. We had an auction. I got rid of a bunch of 30's reproduction fabric I had purchased at a yard sale. I thought I would use it to make donation quilts. I had used a lot of it but had grown to resent even owning it. People went nuts over it. I had paid $5 for about 110 yards of fabric. My guild used the money e raised to pay for several of our charity projects. We make about 18 QOV every year and several other things. It was lots of fun.
I purchased some batiks and a few other things. My DD had been wanting some curtains made with pom moms on them. She was disappointed at the cost. I got 15 yards of pom moms for 25cents.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:45 AM

These are the only places you can go to buy these items used. Neighborhood garage sales and flea markets just dont have these items. either people dont have them to get rid of them, or think they wont sell. I always participate. To help the guild and/or help myself.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:47 AM

I think I have finally reached a point where I don't "need" anything. Wanting things are another story. I will never use all the fabric that I have in my stash, but I'm trying. I keep thinking I will make a bunch of donation quilts, but my UFO's always get in the way. lol
Sue
Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

You couldn't keep me away!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 AM

Like many others, I really have no need for fabric (like that stops me, right?). I do enjoy the country store that local guilds have at their quilt shows but a more fun way is to have a "swap" within your own circle of quilting friends. No money trades but a whole lot of fun and a way to clear out the old and bring in some new to you stuff. Once of twice a year my friends gather at my house and bring anything they have outgrown---left over project fabrics (can you believe I have friends who toss whatever they don't use once their project is complete! Not me!), fabrics they thought they liked at one time but no longer, magazines, books, tools & patterns. They know the swap is going to be a fun event so they start sorting their own stuff and putting aside stuff for our date. Come play day I set up card tables, etc and everyone brings their goodies over and they are placed around the room. Not in order of your stuff here and mine there. Often by colors. When everyone has arrived and unloaded everything we all simply take what interests us. There is no fighting over anything, just a lot of oohs and aahs and 'I've got the perfect project for this fabric!'
Everyone always brings a food item to share and it's simply a great time had by all. Everyone benefits because what is left over gets sorted for charity quilts, our guild's free table or thrift stores. A win, win!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 AM

Friday I attended a Quilters garage sale, many beauties to chose from, unfortunately I overspent at the Quilts of Valor Quilt expo a couple of week ends ago.
The DM area quilt guild has a annual sale in August in the past I have very much enjoyed, but..the last one was a bummer, prepackaged Ziploc baggies= had to buy a whole lot of other to get to the piece you wanted.
The garage sale has been an annual event for 7 yrs, guess I will make a $ stash for next year.
I learned about this local Quilter's Garage sale on FB = Quilter's Classified group. Kudos to the woman and her crew from the Garage sale-What a bunch of nice ladies!!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:42 AM

The quilt guild I belong to had a garage sale last year and we did very well. We are having another the end of this month. We want to do it annually. Members donate things including fabric, notions, sewing machines, actually anything sewing/quilting related. We also have some wonderful people who donate fabric to the guild. Some of it is not cotton and we will be selling it at the garage sale. Our prices are low and we use the money to buy batting, etc. needed for our charity quilts. We have loads of fun and it brings us together in a completely different way than guild meetings and workdays. The fabrics we sell are nice. We have cottons, fashion, duck and upholstery fabrics. Something for everyone and it's all priced for less than $3 per yard...most around a $1 or less. Good buy for the public and adds much needed funds to the guild.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:47 PM

The quilt guild I belonged to in Missouri had a auction every couple of years. The members cleaned their quilt rooms and brought items to sell at the auction. The funds raised stayed with the guild. They had a auctioneer come to do the sale and it was loads of fun. I did come home with some really great items. You also picked up items that another member brought the year before and it came back and was sold again. Of course you brought it back too. I usually spent less than $20 and was really please with my purchases. And I got rid of the fabric I really did not like, or the part of a quilt I did not want to finished. And the guild made money for our classes or workshops. They usually made between $400 and $1,000 at the auction.