Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gel marking pens for half-square triangles etc. >

Gel marking pens for half-square triangles etc.

Gel marking pens for half-square triangles etc.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Smile Gel marking pens for half-square triangles etc.

I need a good pen for marking the lines for half-square and quarter-square triangles. I have a terrible time making it straight and also not moving the fabric. I saw some gel pens in Nancy's Notions catalog and I am wondering if any of you have used them, how do they work? Will they disappear easily in case they happen to show? I know for the triangles they should not be visible but just in case....you know. Thanks in advance to all who may take time to answer and give me some needed advice.
Also, I have a problem sewing a 1/4 inch from the drawn line. I can't see how to make it exact. Am I making sense? I hope so. Anyhoo, any tips anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.
I hope everyone is well now and had a good holiday and was blessed to be with their loved ones as I was. Welcome, 2015!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

i use frixion pens and they are gel pens. the work like a charm. they iron right off... in fact, you almost do not even have to touch the hot iron to the fabric. if the quilt is ever going to be in the freezing cold, the lines might come back, so it is best to wash the finished quilt to prevent that
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM

Frixion pen work great and as they will be in you seam I wouldn't worry about the line coming back. I also use just an ordinary lead pencil on light coloured fabrics. You could also try marking your sewing line rather than the centre line and see if that is easier for you. A little ruler like this is great for that http://www.joann.com/omnigrid-clear-....html#start=11 I sit in front of the tv and mark a heap of them and then sew them.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Are you talking about the line drawn diagonally and then sewn 1/4 inch to each side??

If so, you're going to cut right ON that line so it'll virtually disappear....doesn't really matter what you use to mark it. I've used ballpoint pens, pencils, Sharpies, water-washable pencils, even an awl to 'just leave a line'. Never a problem.

I request sharp ballpoint pens for the classes I teach using HSTs; they can also use them for taking notes!

Also, you may find that if you hold the block down with a firm press on a ruler, then start your marked line in the middle of the block out to one corner, then from the middle out to the other corner, you'll be less likely to distort or move the fabric.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 01-03-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:40 AM

What Jan said, and try drawing that line on a sheet of fine sandpaper...grabs the fab so it doesn't move. If you are having that much trouble sewing on or 1/4" from that drawn line, perhaps you should try either using triangles on a roll, thangles or even use the right angle HST template and cut the triangle first then with the bladed 1/4" foot sew that seam. Remember there are several ways to do one thing...find the one that works best for you...
Old 01-04-2015, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Sandpaper! Get a piece of 220 or finer (larger number). I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood and stuck it down with double stick tape, but I gave a sheet to my girlfriend who just used a clipboard. It really keeps the fabric from distorting at all and because you can use a bit more pressure with your marking tool, the lines are darker & more visible. For 90% of my marking I can use a #2 lead pencil.
I also purchased the Omnigrid marking rulers with a coupon. Don't have to look for that 1/4" line. Don't really need these, but it sure makes it easier.
http://www.wawak.com/products/produc...FapDMgod4m0Alw

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-04-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 AM

I took a hand quilting class from a woman who has been hand quilting since she was a child. She showed us a couple of the new items to mark with, and then said as for myself, I use a No. 2 pencil. It always washes out, and when I am sewing, it already starts to go away. That's on light fabrics. On darker fabrics, she uses tailor's chalk. I have tried the No. 2 pencil, and she is absolutely right. It works beautifully. As far as the tailor's chalk is concerned, I have not bought any yet, because I have a sewline marker with white chalk. I want to use that all up before I buy anything else. I would recommend the No. 2 pencil, however.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:24 AM

I got myself a Clearly Perfect Angles and put it on my machine and now I never have to mark lines again. LOVE IT! Best investment I've ever made.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 AM

Bonnie Hunter recommended just picking up a gel pen at Michaels or any other store. I saw that she uses it all the time so I got one in white because I already have the frixion pen in the dark color, besides the gel pen is a lot less expensive than the frixion ones.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I use pencil to mark mine.