Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gender Neutral baby quilt??? >

Gender Neutral baby quilt???

Gender Neutral baby quilt???

Old 10-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Can anyone tell me good colors for this kind of quilt?

I know Green, Cream, yellow.....

Can you put pinks, blues, browns in a gender neutral baby quilt?

I'm soooo lost on what to do.

Thanks
Kimberly
Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 PM

blues, brown are certainly gender neutral... I'd go light on the pink tho.....

I had a commissioned baby quilts for a girl that was tan and brown... I was bored out of my mind... the parents were thrilled with it..... to each their own
Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 PM

I had to make a gender neutral quilt and I used primary colors -- red, blue, yellow, green, orange. It turned out great!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Oh this seems to becoming more common- young parents deciding not to find out if the baby is a boy or girl! (And I am old enough to have had two kids and zero sonograms!) I just made a quilt for my niece, gender neutral, using the Winnie the Pooh classic fabrics- mostly greens with some beiges, browns,aqua etc, but there were tiny touches of pink and blue- they loved it.I think as long as it is not strongly boy or girl themed it will be wonderful!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:12 PM

LOL, I know your delema! My DD wanted a "non traditional baby quilt" a few years back. At least I had a gender. For a girl, she picked out pink, orange, brown and gold batiks. Most pretty quilt. Made it big enough for the kid to drag it around for years.

DD wanted it as a gift to friends. I am not a Grammy or never will be according to my only child, the DD.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Could you ask the mother what colour theme she is using in the nursery? I really like some of the bright quilts that have been made as I feel these will grow with the babe.
Good luck in choosing what to make.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:15 PM

well to be honest, it is for a teacher....from her 2nd grade class...she is leaving over dec break and not coming back......I drew one up of all primary colors and left 20 6 inches blocks for the kids to take a square home and do what they like and i will sew it in the quilt.... I had an awesome quilt drawn up, with a school theme since it was from the kids, but the room moms want gender neutral baby colors lol so i am back at the drawing block

Originally Posted by harrold48
Could you ask the mother what colour theme she is using in the nursery? I really like some of the bright quilts that have been made as I feel these will grow with the babe.
Good luck in choosing what to make.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Primary colors? Btw, I've been a labor and delivery nurse for over 15 yrs, and it seems very few parents choose NOT to know the baby's sex before birth. We LOVE it when they don't know ahead of time. Honestly, how many pleasant surprises are left in life? There are plenty of UNpleasant ones: medical diagnoses, fender-benders, lay-offs. Humanity did fine, not knowing, for all of human history, now all of the sudden, it's a huge inconvenience not to know? One of my favorite birth memories was a woman with 5 girls, having her 6th baby, take her just born baby from the midwife's hands, kissing the baby and saying, " my love, my life, my precious one, my treasure", to her 6th girl. Just sayin'...
Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 PM

I have read babies cry more in yellow rooms and tempers fly there as well. I always limit my use of yellow in a baby quilt. Studies have also shown babies like to look at high contrast of colors, which is why you see alot of black and white toys for infants. Black and white may be a boring quilt but you could use other dark to white contrasts. There are no rules though, use what you like or ask the Mother for her color preferences. To keep the quilt safe don't attach anything the baby can pluck out and put in its mouth, like buttons or attached ribbons.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:44 PM

This is a request from Room moms for a teacher as a gift from her students...they requested gender neutral LOL

Originally Posted by MZStitch
I have read babies cry more in yellow rooms and tempers fly there as well. I always limit my use of yellow in a baby quilt. Studies have also shown babies like to look at high contrast of colors, which is why you see alot of black and white toys for infants. Black and white may be a boring quilt but you could use other dark to white contrasts. There are no rules though, use what you like or ask the Mother for her color preferences. To keep the quilt safe don't attach anything the baby can pluck out and put in its mouth, like buttons or attached ribbons.