Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Get A New Machine Or Repair The Old One >

Get A New Machine Or Repair The Old One

Get A New Machine Or Repair The Old One

Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 AM

I agree with the rest the girls. If you like it try and get it fixed. Looks like a nice machine. If it costs more to fix it than to get a new on then start your search. But you have to take into concideration how much you have to spend on a machine too.
I took mine in to get it fixed and it was unfixable. They gave me a different on because of the 25 year warrenty Janome has on machines .....that is when I bought it.
If you decide to get new then consider some of the lower priced , higher end companies like Viking, Bernina and Pfaff. They have nice machines that are affordable. But you can also go online and shop there to. But ther is nothing wrong with the other companies either. YOu have lots of choices. I always say the hunt is as much fun as the purchasing......tlcquiltnut
Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 AM

Could not let this one pass. My mother has a Necchi that is now 38 years old - cost a whopping $100 back then........and it just would not hold a seam. I got her a new Viking Saphire (felt she deserved a new machine) and took her Necchi to the Viking store as their repair person works on many brands. Got the machine back 1 week later - Problem? She had replaced the bobbin with one that was the wrong size and shape! He cleaned, oiled and set tensions (base $89.95 fee) and that old Necchi sews like a DREAM...goes thru heavy upholstery fabric, multiple layers of denim just like they were paper............If yours is an older machine, it is worth trying to have it repaired! (newer ones just were not designed to last as long, and with plastic parts, etc. wear out much sooner)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 AM

Hi,
If you liked using the older machine do try to get it repaired. The older machines are fantastic. I have everything from a n 1899 treadle to a computerized fully loaded machine. I really prefer using the old Singer 401's that I have over all of the others. Piecing I prefer a Singer Featherweight machine the stitch quality is super. I am fortunate in the fact that I have found a local person that will repair my machines. He does a great job. My hope for you is that you are able to find a good machine mechanic. The oldies are definately the goodies. Hope it all works out for you.
Sue
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Okay Sue, you mentioned the 1899 treadle machine and I swear I started to drool. :lol: I would love a treadle machine and everyone I know who has them just loves them.
~Tiffany
Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 AM

I love my treadle - I can sew even when the power goes off. Seems strange. The machine is in beautiful shape all it needed was the leather belt that drives the big wheel. A co-worker's mother knew of this elderly lady that had this machine and she knew that I was looking for one. The lady lived alone on her parents' farm, and had since passed away. I think of that wonderful lady and the beautiful farm everytime I pass by the machine. Keep your eyes and ears open and I hope you are able to find one of these treasures.
Sue in PA
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 AM

See if you can get it fixed. It looks like a nice machine and you're used to sewing on that particular machine so I'd try and find a place that could fix it/give it a tune up before you spend money on a brand new machine. If you can't get it fixed, do your research before buying one. Can't offer any advice on buying sewing machines...I just sew on a cheap plastic Singer. If you're looking for something with more quality and will last longer than the machines you'll find at your local Wal-Mart, the other girls will offer up advice on that 'cause I know absolutely nothing about the nicer machines.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 AM

I was advised to keep my old (15 yr) machine and have it rebuilt because the new ones are plastic and don't hold up. I had it rebuilt at a cost of $160. Now it's like new and will outlast all the new machines. Fortunately, my repair shop person appears to be an honest one.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 AM

Yes I was very lucky to have found this one. A co-worker knew of a woman that had it and she was downsizing to go into an assisted living community. She lived on her family's farm and the treadle was handed down to her from her mother. It is in beautiful shape. I was thrilled to find it. It is one of my prized posessions. Keep looking and tell friends that you are searching - I hope you are able to locate one of these wonderful machines.
Sue in PA
Old 02-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned

:wink: I say Fix it yourself, sound impossible ,not so hard You got the Manual or find one on line if not start in with a screwdriver, qtips toothbrush,tweezers etc. give er a good clean up then oil job because most of the time on the old ones that's all they need. We live where no one repairs, anyhow we are SM Collectors.Started bringing em home and fixing em our selves . I have 4 Treadles 1 is greatgranny, yes sometimes we name them. Your machine is Highly Saveable! Give er a try. Need help search for Fix SM's,or Parts forSM, Might put in the Name and Model# anything helps and mostly information is Free.Hope this helps!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:18 AM

I agree with everyone else. I love my very old Viking Turissa! When my first one finally died (something vital broke), I kept searching ebay until I found one identical to it. And the man selling it lived only 20 miles from here, so I was able to pick it up!

The old machines are SO much sturdier. I have heard that you can void the warranty of new, expensive machines just by using certain threads or sewing through plastic film (I read that one here!). Unbelievable. I will stick with my old machine instead of paying so much money for something that has to be pampered.