Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting back into quilting >

Getting back into quilting

Getting back into quilting

Old 07-17-2015, 02:24 PM
bj

One thing I like to do when I'm between projects or a little out of sorts is make practice blocks. I have fabric that I use just for this. I go to quilters cache or look thru books and find blocks I've never tried and give it a go. I have one set of blocks (Some from a birthday swap from a few years ago) that are reds and blacks. There are 24 of those that I'm still adding to. I have another set that are earth tones. I think I have 35 of those. I pin a slip of paper on each one with the name of the block. I like playing around with them.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:36 PM

All of the above, are good suggestions!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:39 PM

Welcome! I wonder if a smaller project like placemats, table runner, etc might be good to help you ease back into it? Or at least a throw size quilt in an 'easier' pattern with fabric you really love might help get your quilting mojo back on!!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Quilt shows always do it for me.

Maybe going to some guild meetings and making new quilting friends who will, as good friends do, enable and encourage you?

I hope you get your mojo back soon.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 PM

Welcome to the board. I'm going through a rest, not inspired time. I am doing a monthly project which I love although I do my homework very quickly. Then I have time left. I have made a few bags a notion organiser. Why not look at making thanks giving place mats or small wall hanging. Your son may be delighted with a quilt to take to university.
A quilt for your mum made with your dad's shirts or for yourself.
I feel your problem but small baby steps may work best.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:13 AM

Sometimes taking a class or joining a guild will bring back "that loving feeling". I feel inspired being with other like minded persons. I'm in Fresno area (central CA) and we have:Heart of the Valley Shop Hop and that also is fun.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 AM

If you have any quilt stores nearby that are participating in Row by Row, visit them! Not only do they have free patterns for the RbR, but always have wonderful quilted projects hanging up...and, of course, fabric.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

What kind of quilting did you do before yours fathers illness? What inspired you,set you in motion? Look everywhere,there are tons of free patterns on the internet to inspire. Are there any small quilting groups in your area ? They are fun and very educational in a fun way.
For me it was a trip to Amish country.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:17 AM

Welcome to the board..what a great place to get going again! Go to a quilt show and I bet you will be hooked again. Do you have any friends that quilt? That really keeps my interest HIGH. Buy a nice quilt magazine and sit down and drool. I wish you were closer I know I could get your mojo in high gear!!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 AM

I can relate to your losing your quilting desire. For the past 2.5 years, I have been in such back pain that I could not sit to sew. I had always thought I could work through the pain, but I found out I could not. Fortunately, a new Dr. found a medication for me that has mitigated my pain and I am looking forward to quilting again in 2 weeks. I have 7 tops to complete before I leave this (almost 80 YO) world and so I need to get going.