Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting used to this yellow fabric >

Getting used to this yellow fabric

Getting used to this yellow fabric

Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Default Getting used to this yellow fabric

I posted a week ago, questioning my choices of yellow fabric in my Bargello. I got a lot of good advice, which I am very thankful for. I decided to "Stay Calm and Carry On" to see if I could change the mental picture I had of the quilt...meaning I decided to keep the yellow.

I now have 1/2 of it done, and I have to admit that I like it. I can't visualize how the whole quilt will look, but I am already playing with border ideas in my head, so I guess I have accepted it.

Here is where I am now. It is going to be a cheerful quilt.

If it was your quilt, what fabric would you use for borders? I have enough of most of the fabrics to make borders. I will probably use a dark blue, or one of the darker blues for an outer border, but a small inner border? Would you use a light blue, light yellow, or what?? Remember, this is only 1/2 of the quilt top. I still have to make the other half....

Thanks for any input.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001687.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 PM

I LOVE IT!!!! It is sooo pretty wouldn't change a thing. That is on my to do list love ALL the colors. When you finish and you don't like it PM me and I will take it off your Hands. LOL
Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 PM

I love it! Yellow is not a color I use much but I sure like this. Its bright and cherry and the colors are well balanced. Great job!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:51 PM

I like it too! Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see it finished!!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

​Coming along nicely! I think Bargellos need a good contrast to show the pattern.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:57 PM

I think I would use a couple of the darkest blues, gradated just as they are in the quilt, for borders. I love the quilt. It's really going to be beautiful!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 PM

It looks awesome! I would have to audition a bunch before deciding. It really can change the whole look when you try out different colors.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 PM

This is GORGEOUS! As for borders, I think they serve the same purpose as the mats around a photograph or other framed piece of art. (Lots of ways to google for examples.) In general, I like a very narrow first (inner) mat, followed by a wider second (outer) mat in a contrasting color. One might be the lightest color you've used and the other the darkest. The inner border should probably be either the lightest or the darkest, but the outer border could be whatever color you want to bring out in the quilt. Often a medium color is best - or a fabric that blends most of those used in the quilt. And don't forget that you get another chance to build the "picture frame" when you add a binding! (Maybe use the lightest color as the thin first border, a medium color blend fabric as the wide outer border, and the darkest color for the binding?)

Just my $.02
Old 02-01-2014, 06:22 PM

I can see why it would grow on you. You needed to whole picture to see the beauty. I have one on my to do list, so I can't suggest a border. I guess go "Google" and see how others have finished theirs off and it may inspire the right one. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 PM

I love bargellos which are on my "someday" list. I think your colors are great. As far as borders, when you have finished the quilt, audition various colors and decide what you like.