Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GFG practice piece - Advice?

GFG practice piece - Advice?

Still have another row of black for the outer path (path?) I did the ladder stitch, but there are lots of gaps, in my opinion. Also, there were a couple times where when I did one side, and then went to sew the other side, it didnt line up exactly. I went ahead and manipulated it to work, but Im thinking it made puckers. I haven't pressed any of it since I cut it... Am I supposed it at some point??

Thanks in advance. I want to get everything right before I start on "the" big project!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Blog Entries
    I have never done one so am not the one to give you advice. I think yours looks great!

It looks great. A little starch and pressing should get rid of the puckers. I have a few of those sometimes too.

Blog Entries
    For hexagons I did english paper piecing because the fabric folds nicely around the paper. Also I used a overcast stitch. The more stitches you make, the better it looks.
    Color is my life..

I love the way the block looks.

Beautiful purple! I do alot of EPP and I use smaller stitches like Recurver recommended and I also make sure I go completely into that corner and knot off before turning down the next side. The tuck might be because you didn't get the fabric completely folder around the paper smoothly. Just my thoughts.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I think you can fix those spaces easily by running your needle horizontally back and forth between the vertical layers of fabric to bring the adjoining pieces exactly together. Love your colors!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Did you do very tiny ladder stitching picking up one thread from each side. No matter how much you try sizes do sometimes vary. I join the ends stitch one end ind pin the other them make rest too fit. Pressing is something that was not done I was told very often because of the difficulty of warming an iron and also this was an evening occupation with husband and ironing not don at that time in many homes.
    Finished is better than a UFO

All of the above are great suggestions....be sure your paper hexies are all the same size
    May the scrap fairy visit your sewing room often

Blog Entries
    looks good to me. Haven't done a GFG but still looks good!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast