Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gift ideas for daughters >

Gift ideas for daughters

Gift ideas for daughters

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 AM

No sew blankets for their cars. Remember that the police say to always have a blanket in the car? These are easy - go to your fabric store and ask them to cut 60" of two colors of fleece (this saves you the trouble of handling large pieces and fleece is almost always about 60" wide). Put one piece on top of the other. Cut into each side of the resulting layered square about every inch and about 5" in. Cut a 5" x 5' square off at each corner (otherwise the corners curve which is also ok...). Knot the top and bottom strips together twice and pull each one tight. You can make these in about an hour and they have a ton of uses especially with kids.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
What about a tote bag? These went together quickly.

The pattern is "10 Strip Wonder Bag" by Suzanne Sievers. It can be purchased online.
Wow these bags are great. Did you make them?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM

I always make table runners and wall quilts from panels.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Table toppers or table runners. They can be for whatever season or color their kitchens are. I like changing things up. Plus their fun and easy to make.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM

I knitted scarves for my girls and grandaughters of that new yarn that looks like lace. Saw a lady on a trip making one and it looked so unique. It took me two evenings watching TV to make them and had fun doing it. Had so much fun making them even made some for charity. Purchased the yarn at Joannes and Michaels.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
Wow these bags are great. Did you make them?
Thank you, I did make them using Bali Pops. It is a very easy pattern.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Hi....like you, my husband and I are struggling for gift ideas for our daughters aged 26 and 23 .......but I came upon this lovely book called dear mum, from you to me (they also do dear dad, from you to me....to a grandchild etc.) basically it is a book that asks lots of questions about my life...who my friends were when I was at school, how did I meet their father, what jobs and hobbies I enjoy etc....then it asks how I felt when I found out I was having them, what I am proud of....so on......and by answering all the questions gives a real insistence into my life and feelings for them.
My girls know how much they are loved because we tell them often, but I thought a hand written book that they can keep would be great.......I wish my mum had done it for me.....I would have treasured every page.
We have bought two...one from a mum and one from a dad.....we will split some of the pages and write about both girls........I then hope to make them quilted book bags for them to keep them in.....I am hoping that they will like them.

Last edited by Little RoO; 11-30-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM

How about a 'quilted ornament'? Quick to do and fun and you can get very creative with trimmings. I found a you tube video on them (there are several). I have even sold a few which paid for all my materials plus.
Attached Thumbnails ornament.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Last year I made microwave bowl holders & oven dresses for the women & pillow cases for all the men grand kids & nieces & nephews, GT nieces & nephews. They went over really big with everyone. The men in the family got specialty pillowcases & loved them. The men even liked the microwave bowels. All our friends got the same & I have ended up with lots of orders for making them & ended up making a few $ off them. Just finished an order for 24 of them. :~) This year I am making table hot pads & coasters out of 1/2 inch strips of scrap fabric wound around cloths line rope & zig zaged to make them round plus dress holders for plastic bags. All of these are fast & easy to make.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by kgibbons View Post
Need some ideas.... I have to older daughters 30 & 32 who mean the world to me they are married and have children of their own and I am looking for some ideas to make them something special from me for Xmas...any ideas I would love some suggestions and any pictures of some of the items you may have made... Thanks

Karen
For those whose hands are always busy with phones etc. I am making designer backpacks.