Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gift Ideas Please? >

Gift Ideas Please?

Gift Ideas Please?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM

We have a quilting group of 9 to 10 and we have a christmas exchange and pot luck every year. We've been doing this for a while now, I'm running out of ideas and I'm in need of some nice 'quick' gifts that I can make, and they will like. I'll be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM

how many and how much per gift are you wanting to spend. need a little more detail to help with answers.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Mug rugs with mugs? Zippered change purses? Fabric bowls? Tri-fold sewing kits?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM

last one - a set of quilted greeting cards?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Several set of quick gift bag totes of different sizes are always a welcome gift. Here is how I make them and they are super easy and fast. It's easy to adjust the sizes of the bags. I buy Christmas tablecloths from thrift stores and have used the cheap vinyl felt backed ones.

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/blog/?p=913
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 AM

If you are close to JoAnns, they have some great coffee cups with nice sewing/quilting or knitting quotes on them. Add a box of tea or small package of coffee or hot chocolate and maybe some cookies too!, in a nice wicker basket and you will have a wonderful gift in that 10 -15.00 range. Even if you can't find those cups at JoAnns, just a nice coffee mug from WalMart, makes a nice gift. I love to do gift bags/boxes.....to save money, use old Christmas paper and run it through your paper shreader for the fillers!!!

jodi in leavenworth
Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 AM

love the shreader idea, thanks!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Cost? Some can't afford much, most of us also belong to at least one and some two quilt guilds. We do the same thing at each of them, so we try to keep cost down. Those who can't afford much feel guilty when they receive a pricey item so we all try to keep it down. One guild has a $5 limit.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jodimarie
to save money, use old Christmas paper and run it through your paper shreader for the fillers!!
Now that's a great idea. So simple but never crossed my mind to use Christmas paper. The two sided paper will be awesome!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by RuthysRaggs
Cost? Some can't afford much, most of us also belong to at least one and some two quilt guilds. We do the same thing at each of them, so we try to keep cost down. Those who can't afford much feel guilty when they receive a pricey item so we all try to keep it down. One guild has a $5 limit.
You can purchase mugs at the dollar store. Dollar Tree in Jacksonville just enlarged their household goods area. I saw a post last night of 'hundreds' of pictures of a mug rug exchange (can't remember where).

There were two categories that left an impact: Some folks designed the mats to have appliques like the designs on the cup (too much time on their hands?).

The second group I noticed were the ones who used clear glass coffee mugs (the kind on little pedestals)! They went with EVERYTHING and can easily be found for $1.00 or less.

That leaves $$ to buy tea bags, coffee packets, cocoa packets, etc and stay under the $5. Put colorful teabag or coffee packets in the clear mug and it just adds a festive touch.