Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gingham quilts ??? >

Gingham quilts ???

Gingham quilts ???

Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 AM

Default Gingham quilts ???

Has anyone ever done a gingham quilt? If you have will you post pictures? I'd like to try one but unsure of how to cut the fabric. Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 AM

I had one made for my MIL by one of her students at the local tuberculosis sanatarium many years ago. It was black and white checked gingham Scotties appliqued on white squares. Three decades later my DM set it with (almost) matching gingham strips and black cornerstones. It was all cut on the grain, the dogs were cut with the straight grain level with their backs. Sorry, I don't have the quilt, now, or a picture.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

There are some posts of Chicken Scratch on gingham on QB that are very nice. You have 2 choices with checks, either cut carefully with the lines or go for a more free form style and just cut as for regular fabric. Do you have a certain pattern in mind?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 AM

I believe most gingham is not 100% cotton, though, so watch out for that. (That's what I am told by an employee at a JoAnn's store).
Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

joanne's gingham may not be 100% cotton --- but that doesn't make (most) not----i've bought many many bolts of 100% cotton gingham over the years.
it makes nice fun appliques, i generally use a fusable lightweight woven stablizer on the back for appliques- (placed on top-fusable facing right side of fabric- sew all around- make a slit in stablizer & turn right side out- gives a finished edge) because the edges do tend to fray a bit
also works well for pieced blocks- it's a personal choice if you want to cut with the lines or not-
i made lots of little girl dresses, skirts & little boy shirts out of gingham back in the day (when they were little)
also raggedy andy shirts-
i think a couple of my granddaughter's may have a quilt or two with gingham but i don't think i have any pics- will have to do some looking
Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 AM

I love using Ginghams..I made this Floating Stars last year for a friends grandaughter who love Beatrix Potter.[ATTACH=CONFIG]349079[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0074.jpg   img_0075.jpg  

Last edited by CoventryUK; 07-15-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
I had one made for my MIL by one of her students at the local tuberculosis sanatarium many years ago. It was black and white checked gingham Scotties appliqued on white squares. Three decades later my DM set it with (almost) matching gingham strips and black cornerstones. It was all cut on the grain, the dogs were cut with the straight grain level with their backs. Sorry, I don't have the quilt, now, or a picture.
I did one similar to that but instead of scotties, I embroidered antique cars on it for my DS. It's around here somewhere. I want to rip the quilting out (I hand quilted back in the day when I wasn't very good) & re-do it. I like the car squares but wish the gingham wasn't a blend. I love gingham, but wish it was 100% cotton. Oh & I just cut it. It was somewhat "uneven" but back then I didn't know any better.

I also made a Sunbonnet Sue for a friend of mine which had Sue's dresses made from red & black gingham.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
I love using Ginghams..I made this Floating Stars last year for a friends grandaughter who love Beatrix Potter.[ATTACH=CONFIG]349079[/ATTACH]
That is absolutely adorable! I'll bet your friend flipped when she got this beauty from you! I love it!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 AM

Beautiful quilt, CoventryUK, love gingham!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 AM

Thankyou!!! I think it always has such a fresh look!!