Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gingher scissors >

gingher scissors

gingher scissors

Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Default gingher scissors

where do you purchase your ginghers and what size is go to pair you use most. i see there are pricey. love to save up for a pair of 7'' or 8''. thanks for looking...
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM

JoAnn's with a coupon is where I first purchased a pair, so the price was fair. I loved them at first. What I didn't like was how my DH ruined them thinking he could sharpen them. So if you get a pair, don't let it happen to you, have them professionally sharpened. By the way, my Fiskars I have had for about 30 years are still going strong. Just saying.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 PM

I loved my Ginghers when I first got them, but have, since, acquired arthritis and are very heavy to cut with.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM

I have had Gingher scissors for many years. I dropped one pair and they got a little wonky...always thought I would send them back to Gingher to see if they could fix them....never did. I did know that they suggest returning your scissors for them to sharpen...think I have heard this is best with them. Mine are still sharp...so can't say how that works...maybe others. I agree - Joanns is most likely the best price...watch for 50% off
Old 09-04-2013, 01:08 PM

My gingher scissors are the one thing in my house which are off limits. No one touches my ginghers, but me. I saved for them and to me cutting is like going through butter- smooth. They were pricey, but worth it. I have 2 pair- a designer dressmaker pair and a small 4" pair. I got the small ones at JoAnn's with a coupon. I got my bigger ones at my LQS.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM

You can send them to Gingher or sharpening. http://www.gingher.com/pages/repair-and-maintenance/4/
Old 09-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I purchased a pair of ginghers many years ago when I was in my teens. I had them wrapped in newspaper in a box of quilt scraps and blocks I was working on. I was gone the day my dad decided to paint our bedroom as a surprise. Imagine my horror when I got home and he threw the box of scraps into the garbage to be picked up. It was also trash plick up day. I saved babysitting money for those. Back then they were about $10-15.00. I have yet to buy another pair. We had company one day when I was gone again. My niece and GN were over and visited with my DH. GN brought a friend who found herself into my sewing room. GN caught her with my Fiskars cutting a paperclip. DH said GN chewed her up one side and down the other and how I was going to be so mad. GN cried and apologized to me. Love that little girl. She went with me when we bought new scissors. I got her a pair also. She keeps them at my house. Her pair fits her little hands just right and she is very careful with anything at our house. I got the scissors at Michael's when they had a BOGO sale.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM

I use the Gingher 5-inch ones...also have the 7" and 8" ones that I use to cut batting...but the primary ones for me are the 5 inchers...
Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM

I have had my Gingers for almost 30 years. About 8 years ago I sent them back - something wonky happened with the screw. They came back and I have used them ever since.

If I needed to purchase another pair - I would go to Joanns with a coupon.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM

I will be 70 shourtly & I've had my 8" Ginghers since I was a teenager & made all my own clothes.