Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients >

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Giving Quilts - No Reaction from Recipients

Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Hi
I know just how you feel, for two co-workers that I supervise, I made them quilts this year, both received the same quilt, simple nine patch made with different cat and kitten fabric. They both own cats. One girl got all excited and the other girl never even opened her package one she saw what the other girl got. This reaction made me feel very sad, not going to make her anything homemade again!!! I also made 15 Christmas table runners for other co-workers who greatly appreciated them.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Yes I have. I made 6 quilts one summer and gave them to my nieces and nephews and all they did was lay them aside. They didn't even say thank you. So I know how you feel.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM

As a quilters, our "joy" has to be the construction of the quilt: the selection of fabrics, design, cutting, sewing. It has to be fun for you. Giving the quilt and the recipient's reaction is secondary. No one, except one who has made a quilt, can ever understand the sweat, tears and time that goes into a project of this magnitude.

Don't try to second guess your inlaws reaction. Finish it and give it to them and go on to the next project. For what its' worth, I think you were very thoughtful to make them a quilt and wish they would have responded appropriately.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:05 AM

In an article about making a quilt for a raffle (don't remember the magazine), it suggested adding a note, perhaps on the label, about the number of hours, yards of fabric, even the cost (though I thought this was a bit tacky) involved in created the quilt. Perhaps this may make an impression on someone who is uninformed about quiltmaking.

I rather liked the idea of yardage and hours info. Who knows, when our quilts become historic what might be of interest to the owners! OK, so we don't quilt for future historians, it just seemed thought provoking to me.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM

I gave a lap quilt to my step granddaughter and she pulled it out of the gift bag and said oh and then put it on her bed and didn't even thank me. Oh well I kind of wish I hadn't given it to her because when I showed it to my daughter she teared up and I know she was wanting it because she loved it so much. Life is funny. Kids are funnier still. I am not messed up about it, but that will be the last handmade gift she gets from me.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Joan View Post
As a quilters, our "joy" has to be the construction of the quilt: the selection of fabrics, design, cutting, sewing. It has to be fun for you. Giving the quilt and the recipient's reaction is secondary. No one, except one who has made a quilt, can ever understand the sweat, tears and time that goes into a project of this magnitude.

Don't try to second guess your inlaws reaction. Finish it and give it to them and go on to the next project. For what its' worth, I think you were very thoughtful to make them a quilt and wish they would have responded appropriately.
I agree completely. Years from now you may find that they or someone close to them loved it. It's like casting your bread on the water. It comes back to you eventually.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mYnSJOugCA...s400/photo.JPG
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM

been there, too. i made a twin size for a neice for high school graduation. shipped it over several states to get to her. that was about 5 yrs ago, no comment from her or from her parents. i just hope whoever has it is happy using it. guess we don't see all sides of people, even when we think we "know" them. sad part is -- i'm debating with myself whether to send one to her sister for graduation next year. (my hubby says not to --- but that punishes her for her sisters rudeness.)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 AM

I have given much thought to the whole concept of gift giving the last couple of years, not just during a holiday or a birthday, but for any occasion.
I think we who are doing the giving should ask the givee what they want. If we have a limited budget then ask them if there is something with in your means that you could give.
We as the giver have no right to expect any kind of reaction from the receiver, if we do, then we are not truly giving for them but for ourselves.
If your reason for giving is to make you feel good then find a place to give to for that purpose.
If your reason for giving is to make the other happy then be sure what you are giving is really what they want.

We really have no right to have unrealistic expectations from others, shame on us when we do.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Did you really read what you wrote, she pulled it out of the bag and said oh, then put it on her bed, the act of putting it on her bed spoke volumes! Were you listening? This was your step granddaughter - is the relationship issue free?

I maybe ought not to make comments today, but my question to you is did you give this gift freely with love or did you give it conditionally with many strings attached? ( the answer is none of my business - the answer is for you and only you)

Originally Posted by latebloomerar View Post
I gave a lap quilt to my step granddaughter and she pulled it out of the gift bag and said oh and then put it on her bed and didn't even thank me. Oh well I kind of wish I hadn't given it to her because when I showed it to my daughter she teared up and I know she was wanting it because she loved it so much. Life is funny. Kids are funnier still. I am not messed up about it, but that will be the last handmade gift she gets from me.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Take them back a gift card, finish the quilt and keep it for yourself! No sense in being miserable while you are binding it, if you are thinking about them not wanting it.