Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving quilts >

Giving quilts

Giving quilts

Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Default Giving quilts

I was wondering, do you set out making a specific quilt for a particular person, or do you follow your inspiration making the quilt, then decide who to give it to? Do you ask if they like it before giving it? If not, do you worry if it will be to their taste? I don't want to be one of those relatives who gives people things they don't really want, but they're too polite to say so. I want my quilts to be really liked by the person who ends up with them. Do you think it would be awkward to send an email with pictures of a quilt to a group of relatives, and ask who wants it, or would it be better to just make a guess as to a person's taste, or go by what quilt you think goes with the person's personality?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM

I really struggle with this! I usually have a person in mind when I start making a quilt, and usually about halfway through making it I panic and convince myself that they'll hate it! It's silly of me really but I just can't stop myself! Part of my problem is that I like to make the quilts as a surprise, whereas if the person knew I was making it for them I could just ask them!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM

The first thing I would do is make sure the person would like a quilt! As much as we can't believe there are some people who just aren't quilt people. Usually those people have seen quilts that you have made and expressed a liking or mention that they would like one. If the person you are making one for hasn't seen any of your quilts you might just ask them what they think of them.

Next I normally take the colors that they have in their house or favorite colors.

I think that if you take those things into account you will be pretty safe. The only other thing would be if they like modern. If they aren't into modern I think any quilt pattern would work, even modern fabrics can make a traditional pattern modern.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I've made some quilts specifically for people. And sometimes I decide to give a quilt away years after the quilt is finished. What I don't do is ask what someone wants and make a quilt to order. And what would you do if you send a picture of a quilt in email asking who wants it, and EVERYONE wants it?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

i may ask their color preference, but the rest is my choice/design. i don't make quilts for anyone if i'm doubtful that they'd like a quilt
Old 06-10-2014, 01:19 PM

You might email those relatives with a general conversation about quilting and your interest in it. Share how you enjoy doing it and wondered if any of them had ever quilted or other relatives in the past. Try to get some discussion going and the see what their thoughts are on it in general.

You could always ask a relative who knows the person you want to make a quilt for what her tastes are and if they think that is something they would like.

You could also start with a smaller item and see what happens to that...pot holders - wall hanging - something useful.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I make quilts for me because I love to make quilts. When an opportunity comes along to give one a new home, it is sent with love and off it goes to a new place. I never fret about it again. I would never be able to gift a quilt if I thought that way.

I never concern myself with wether a quilt will be liked or not. I am not responsible for other peoples feelings towards my work.

I don't believe I was ment to be permanently atached to my quilts. My love and enjoyment is in the making of the quilt, not what happens to it one month from nowor five years in the future.

If one of my quilts has kept a dog warm, my job is done!
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 06-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i may ask their color preference, but the rest is my choice/design. i don't make quilts for anyone if i'm doubtful that they'd like a quilt
I agree......
Old 06-10-2014, 02:23 PM

It is really helpful to hear how other people think about this.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
And what would you do if you send a picture of a quilt in email asking who wants it, and EVERYONE wants it?
I suppose, give it to the first person who replied? And explain that to the others? (Doesn't sound like the best approach.)

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I make quilts for me because I love to make quilts. When an opportunity comes along to give one a new home, it is sent with love and off it goes to a new place. I never fret about it again. I would never be able to gift a quilt if I thought that way.

I never concern myself with wether a quilt will be liked or not. I am not responsible for other peoples feelings towards my work.

I don't believe I was ment to be permanently atached to my quilts. My love and enjoyment is in the making of the quilt, not what happens to it one month from nowor five years in the future.

If one of my quilts has kept a dog warm, my job is done!
peace
This seems like an excellent attitude to me.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM

I make a quilt for my family reunion every year, which is raffled off to pay for the next year's reunion. Last year, I made a lovely Log Cabin, which took a lot of time, because I had multiple things all going on at the same time. The person who purchased the winning ticket told me a few days later that she was not a quilt person, because it looked "too homemade". She went on to say that she would probably put it in her next garage sale, if somebody else wanted to buy it.
At first, I was crushed at her comments, but then I thought, "I hope someone else does end up with the quilt", because I don't think she deserves it.. And I also realized that even though it wasn't to HER taste, it was hers to do with as she chose. I hope I would have been a little more tactful about it, but I really hope whoever ended up with it will enjoy it.