Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?giving your top to professional quilter?? >

?giving your top to professional quilter??

?giving your top to professional quilter??

Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 PM

I am having a big setback in my love to quilting!?
After x-hours (whom am I telling) I got a lovely top with (almost) all points matching and than all I am able to is SID and lousy meandering.........

Why dont I have a problem to make the applique with my marvelous embroidery machine - much better than I ever could do by hand - and at the same time hate the idea to give my top to a professional quilter?

Could it be that the worst would be to add her name on my label??? I dont want to share the credit!
Most of the receivers dont have an idea anyway what kind of work went into that quilt and might end up thinking that I just donated the fabric.

How do you feel about it? If I come up with the idea of a long arm quilting machine my DH might file for divorce :lol:

Granny
Old 07-04-2010, 12:23 PM

I understand completely! Using my embroidery machine doesn't bother me as I have still set up the machine, downloaded or created the designs, and stitched it out myself. I have seen some very talented longarm quilters turn out beautiful custom designs that I could never do myself, but if someone else were to do the quilting I don't feel as though the finished quilt is really mine any longer.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:32 PM

I have never sent a quilt to a longarmer, maybe because like you, I don't want to share the credit. Most people don't know the work that goes into it, but I do. On the other hand, the longarmer will not request that you include her name on the label. If the quilt is entered into a judged quilt show and wins and award for the quilting, the award goes to the long armer.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 PM

I much prefer the piecing and don't have a problem sending mine out for a professional to quilt. Most folks first see the fabric, colors and overall design first, anyway, which is all mine, and since good quilters are supposed to enhance the design of the quilt, they can only make it better. But it's a personal preference, and if you prefer to quilt your own, more power to you...
Old 07-04-2010, 12:36 PM

I have always used an long-arm quilter to machine quilt my quilts. I do not have a problem using one because she is so creative and I have no desire to learn long-arm quilting. I have more fun putting the tops together. Even though she does the quilting, I still feel the quilt is mine. I picked the pattern, picked the material, put the blocks together or whatever, and made the top, put the borders on, pieced the back...it's my quilt. I do give her credit on my labels, though. And I still feel the quilt is mine. I don't have to do all the work for it to be my quilt. How is brining your quilt to a professional long arm quilter any different than bring your quilt to be quilted at a quilting bee? Do then feel it's not your quilt anymore, just because some people helped you had quilt it? I bet you wouldn't. I think we can get too bogged down in terms and who did what...and that can take the joy out of quilting altogether.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Sorry, what is a quilting bee?

Even if you dont HAVE to give credit to a longarm quilter on your label, I would never do such a thing. But not without the feeling, that it is all my quilt anymore.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Granny, if you have an embroidery machine you can do quilting embroidery designs on your quilts. Then you wouldn't have to send out your tops.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:04 PM

it is about as hard to put a quilt into the hoop as to squeeze it under a normal sewing machine............it is no option for me
Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Pam

I keep mine at home, too. I jealously guard my projects, always have, even as a child. I started doing embroidery at about 9 and if I would show someone else to do a stitch, if they did it on my project, I would take it out. I wanted it to be all mine. I cannot explain it, I am normally a generous person, I give lots of stuff away including quilts after they are finished. Oh well, who knows?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
I keep mine at home, too. I jealously guard my projects, always have, even as a child. I started doing embroidery at about 9 and if I would show someone else to do a stitch, if they did it on my project, I would take it out. I wanted it to be all mine. I cannot explain it, I am normally a generous person, I give lots of stuff away including quilts after they are finished. Oh well, who knows?
Real sister in soul.............so what kind of quilting do you do on your projects?