Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue Basting Sceptic >

Glue Basting Sceptic

Glue Basting Sceptic

Old 12-09-2014, 07:29 AM

I do mine in sections since I have only a small area. Glue one section, let dry for 45 min., put a few pins around the area so I know which are done, shift the quilt, glue another section, etc. Sometimes I turn on a fan to help with the drying. I put the backing on the batting, then when done with that whole side, turn it over and do the same with the top. It takes some time, but I can get lots of other things done during the drying time. When I'm done, I leave it draped over the counter until bedtime, then fold it loosely. It can be quilted the next day.

I love it, because no matter how much wrestling with it I must do to quilt, the layers don't shift! Though it may seem like a long, involved process, I've simply worked it into my routine. I use Elmer's washable school glue.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 AM

I have a hard time with glue basting. I think it works, but I haven't been able to fine tune the technique. My hands hurt so bad when I squeeze it out that I give up. I need to try that recipe that was going around here, seemed like that was used in a spray bottle
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I add a little water to the bottle to make it flow. I hold it up high and let it flow all over the batting. I don't worry about big drops because when I smooth the top or backing to the batting it thins it out. Smoothing is the key. Usually I will use a hot iron to do the smoothing so the glue dries fast. I will not baste any other way. I can have a king size quilt basted in less then half a hour. I set up as many folding tables as I need and baste 1/2 , smooth and then do the other half. I do this to the front and back and I'm done.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:55 PM

glue basting works great....just drizzle it over the fabric and smooth it out..washes out great
Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 AM

I've tried glue-basting, and I really like it, but I'm also curious about using the method described by SlightlyOffQuilter (QB member) here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...h-t242180.html I'm still in the experimental stage with all the different ways of basting a quilt sandwich, so I'm still open to suggestions.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:42 AM

I'm a glue baster all the way. Once I tried it I never went back to another method. Washable school glue is always on my Christmas list. I too hold the bottle up about 6" or so above my quilt bat so that I get a thin stream of glue going and then do it in a zig zag pattern on the bat. By putting it on the bat I don't have to worry about it seeping through the fabric onto the surface that my quilt is laying on. I've never had any problem with it gumming up my needle or machine. If you haven't used this method, give it a try.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:47 AM

I admire anyone who can do the glue thing. i tried it and was careful not to get globs of glue, but my machine just didn't like it. When I use the glue stick, it pulls on the fabric and I worry about stitching. So to those of you who have success with glue...I give you kudos. After teaching 2nd grade for years, glue is one thing I know, but not so much with fabric. Maybe one day....
Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 AM

I love it too! I mix mine half glue, half water, heat the water in microwave, then mix. It squeezes out really easy, I do it from standing position with quilt on floor, and just let it dry under ceiling fan, usually overnight. Also, for small things like piecing, I use the glue pens, 3 in a package at Dollar Tree. I also use the glue sticks for some things. Works great for me, sure saves my knees, used to get down on the floor to pin!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 AM

Love the glue!!!! What a time saver - always hated basting and then taking out the basting or the pins that left my finger so sore.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
...and just let it dry under ceiling fan, usually overnight.
With 2 dogs and a cat, that would spell disaster in my house LOL
I can just picture them all with bit of batting glued to their paws and noses.