Glue

Old 04-08-2017, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Looked at JoAnn's for years for the glue tips. Finally found them at a LQS but had to buy the glue. Pricey. Will keep it with my adhesive box.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:56 AM

I am intending to make a handkerchief quilt by simply attaching the hankies to foundation, creating the blocks and then hand quilting it. I plan to use the blanket stitch on my machine to attach the hankies to the foundation but will be hand quilting this. Can I use glue to fasten the hankies to the foundation to get it attached? And then how does the glue behave when being hand quilted?
Old 04-08-2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I drizzle it on full strength in a random grid
No need for full strength glue. In fact, it is almost impossible to squeeze it out full strength. 50 / 50 is plenty strong. I have even added a little more water. That way the glue comes out easier and you can swish the bottle a foot or two over the quilt and get the glue on a quarter of the quilt in a minute or two. Then I smooth that out with my fingers so that there are no big blobs.

I lay the quilt out on my bed large tables at the library, church, town hall or wherever. Make the sandwich as you want it and put some pins across the center line.These are the only pins you need. Lift up the top piece to the pins, swish glue on the batt about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way from the center pin line. Smooth with fingers. Lay top piece down and smooth that. I iron the glue dry now. Then lift the top piece up again as far as it has been glued and put glue on the next section. When that half if finished, go to the other side and repeat. When that side is dry, with iron or time, turn the whole thing over and repeat for the other side. When everything is dry, take out the pins and you are ready to quilt. I usually tack down the edges with pins or basting so that they don't come apart with the pressure of the quilting.

Last edited by maviskw; 04-08-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I am intending to make a handkerchief quilt by simply attaching the hankies to foundation, creating the blocks and then hand quilting it. I plan to use the blanket stitch on my machine to attach the hankies to the foundation but will be hand quilting this. Can I use glue to fasten the hankies to the foundation to get it attached? And then how does the glue behave when being hand quilted?
I am a hoopless hand quilter, it is wonderful to work with. Just remember to smooth out any blobs!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Sallys beauty has dye bottles with small tips on them for $3 I think is what I paid, the tip screws right onto the glue bottle.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I love elmers washable school glue. I use it all the time for basting the quilt sandwich. It you type it into the search up above you will get a lot of information. I drizzle it on full strength in a random grid pattern on the batting and smooth the fabric over it. I lay the batting down and center first the backing. Then pull down the backing about half way or so depending on the size of your quilt. Drizzle on the glue. If you get a blob just smooth it out with your finger. Then pull up the fabric and smooth it out from the center. Repeat with other half. You can slide the sandwich around at this point if you need to have space. Then flip over and do the front. Let dry. Once it is dry it will not gum up or break a needle. I have done umpteen quilts this way. No clamping. No taping. No boards. Remember it replaces pin basting not spray basting. You don't have to cover every inch of your batting. Sometimes I practice meandering with the glue. When you are done quilting and wash your quilt it will all wash out. It has revolutionized my process and I have never had a pucker doing it this way. Try it on a scrap sandwich. And remember to use the washable stuff. Any brand seems to work for me.
Just wanted to add...use the glue full strength. I buy it by the gallon and dispense it from a plastic condiment bottle like they sell for ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. Works great, and the little cap attached keeps the leftovers from drying out. The glue will show through in spots, but a quick warm water wash when the binding is finished will take it right out. I even use this glue to hold appliqués in place while I hand stitch them in place. See my tutorial under "the appliqué tutorial I promised"

(I did try to post a link, but could not find the tutorial, some help?)

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-08-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:50 AM

I have never tried this method before. I might need to on the next quilt I am doing. It is a UFO that is bigger than what I am used to quilting. I am tempted to try glue to see if it works for me.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:32 AM

I use glue for Sharon Schamber's method of attaching binding. Look up her Youtube video. My bindings have never been better!

Watson
Old 04-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

wow so many ways of using Elmer's washable school glue! I don't have any hand/wrist/shoulder issues and it is no problem for me to squeeze the little bottle. I think of it as a good exercise (remember I don't have any issues that some of you might have) and don't find it necessary to thin it out. It is so inexpensive and easy to do, I'm very happy with it. I don't need it for my bindings. I don't pin them either, just smooth them out as I go along. I can do a pretty nice binding now.

One poster on here reminded us that it is to replace pin basting, not spray basting, so it doesn't have to cover every s inch of the quilt. I have had great success. I don't iron anything because since I quilt for my own pleasure I am never in a hurry. So I leave it overnight.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:55 PM

Check out Sharon Schamber on UTube for her glue basting process!