Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On the go >

On the go

On the go

Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM

Years ago in one of my classes we made a padded book with a small cutting board on one side, fine grit sandpaper on the other side and enough batting on the outside to be able to use it as a small ironing area. I have traveled a lot with that.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Ignorance here - what's the fine grit sandpaper for?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM

Trust me on this one, double up on the seam ripper and needle threader. Packed my box and left them behind, big mistake! My job allows me time to hand sew during my shift and I have 2 sewing boxes each packed with the same items for grab and go. When time and your budget allows, build a second box just for travel and sleep overs.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Patrice - LOVE this!! my DH tells me if there is no room after the golf clubs & accessories go in, he'll tell whomever we visit that I said HI! same for my sewing stuff - FIFO - first in & first out. Blessings. Kathy
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM

We have a home in Ga. as well as Fl. so we are in between a lot. I like you seem to always have a project with me. This is my travel kit (I've really tried to minimize it over the years).
1. Needles (hand & machine)
2. Thread (light & dark)
3. Scissors
4. One ruler that can be use for cutting or squaring up (6 x 12)
5. Rotary cutter
6. Pins
7. Seam ripper
8. Mat with pressing board on the on the other side
9. Travel iron (if I'm going where there may not be one)
10. Marking pen (dark & light)

I keep these in a bag that hangs behind the door in my quilting room. So if someone says go all I have to put in is what project I'm working on and grab the machine. Also, another thing is clean and oil your machine before u leave and also change out the rotary blades if you plan to do a lot of quilting. Happy quilting!!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM

Nancyw,
What kind of bendable light do you have attached to your sewing machine? And where did you get it? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
pack:
1 clean pair of socks
1 clean set of undergarments
1 clean t-shirt
1 clean pair of jeans
1 pair sneakers
1 set jammies, robe & slippers
laundry detergent

plus as much of your sewing room as you can cram into the car.

if hubby and kid(s) don't fit, tell them to fly or take the bus. LOL LOL LOL
Showed this one to DH and he rolled his eyes, chuckled and asked what about the DOG ? LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM

I have a small Janome and made a case for it(Lots of pockets) and the usual sewing stuff that Iwould need at home. plus a small sheet of stabalizer just in case. and the primary sewing thread colors but 2 of the tan and black. It is my grab and to to the kids or quild etc. Some of you ladies are so funny and makes my day............Love Ya lots and hugs to you all.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 AM

fine grit sandpaper to help pull your needle through the fabric if it gets stuck. also bees wax helps with thread easing through fabric. if hand sewing.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Kaelynangelfoot, I like your list. I would add marking pencils/pens, painters tape and the one item I most often forget.... a good long extension cord. I keep a basket by my sewing area with all of my day by day necessities. Three cheers for the Longaburger Market Basket Some are crammed into a zip-lock bag while others just live in the basket. I can grab it and go any time the opportunity arrives. I enjoy quilting away from home with others, so having the "basics" ready at a moments notice is important to me.

Last minute thought..... I also have a tube of good hand cream, a hair clip to keep the hair out of the way when FM and one little piece of chocolate for emergency purposes only.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-24-2013 at 09:11 AM.