Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going With the Big Stitch Method.  Which threads, needles, etc.? >

Going With the Big Stitch Method. Which threads, needles, etc.?

Going With the Big Stitch Method. Which threads, needles, etc.?

Old 01-18-2015, 05:13 AM

Default Going With the Big Stitch Method. Which threads, needles, etc.?

I thinking of trying my hand at a big stitch quilt and I've never hand quilted before. I want the thread to really show up on this scrappy quilt. The top, back and batting are cotton. I might do a little tying on the quilt too. I'm considering using red embroidery thread for the job, but I'm worried that it may run. What else is there? Thanks.

~ C
Old 01-18-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I think the little balls of Perle cotton that I use for red work embroidery would work. It comes in a vast array of colours and because it is one strand it is easier to work with. I use # 8 and it is about as thick as embroidery thread. You can also test your embroidery thread by putting a wad in hot water and then placing it on a white paper towel to dry. If it has any colour on the towel after drying, it is a bleeder.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 AM

You might want to consider crochet thread. The number 10 is my favorite for actual crocheting. This is a search I did in Yahoo and found this at Joan's. http://www.joann.com/needle-arts/kni...rochet-thread/

I found out the hard way that large openings in stitches is where dogs and cats get claws caught in and can pull the thread all out of shape. If it were me, I wouldn't use the large stitches unless it was a wall hanging or a table runner. Although if you have no animals, it's a moot point.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:49 AM

Defintely Perle cotton.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:57 AM

My concern with the big stitch is similar to Barb in Louisiana back in the day they called those "nail catchers" for the very same reason, so I would be worried about it with a bed quilt.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM

Big stitch is fine, and very effective, on a bed quilt. The stitches aren't big enough to catch nails, even pet nails, unless they are rough-housing on top of the quilt for some reason. I'd definitely use perle cotton. It comes in the same colors as floss, but is easier to use and has a softer appearance because it's not as shiny.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Thanks for those tips. One of my cats, "Mr. Bondo," (James Bondo,) likes to live life on the edge and he just may want to wrestle with that quilt, while searching for diamonds, the secret code, hiding from Mr. "No," and not to mention, fooling around with his favorite, "Bond girl," "Raven," (my other gorgeous kitty.)

Hummm....maybe I'll nix the big stitch idea.

~ Cindy
Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have used 'big stitch' quilting for 15 years since having it taught in my shop in Dallas TX. The stitches are not huge! If you get 5 stitches to the inch you should have no problem. Usual 'fine' quilting takes 9-12 stitches to the inch, all counted on the top layer.

Here is a close up of one I have done using wool batting and 30 wt. Sulky cotton thread with a #7 between needle from Richard Hemming. (That's a quarter beside it.)

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails bigstitch-quilting-closeup-1.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 11:39 AM

Angry

Thanks Jan,

Not only have you giving me encouragement, but there's a lot of good info in your post. This quilt is just a fun and funky quilt. If it gets a little beat up, all the better. Bondo had better keep his paws off it, though.

~ C
Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have used 'big stitch' quilting for 15 years since having it taught in my shop in Dallas TX. The stitches are not huge! If you get 5 stitches to the inch you should have no problem. Usual 'fine' quilting takes 9-12 stitches to the inch, all counted on the top layer.

Here is a close up of one I have done using wool batting and 30 wt. Sulky cotton thread with a #7 between needle from Richard Hemming. (That's a quarter beside it.)

Jan in VA
Beautiful stitching but that sure looks like a penny to me. Isn't that old Abe?