Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to my first Quilt Show tomorrow >

Going to my first Quilt Show tomorrow

Going to my first Quilt Show tomorrow

Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM

Sorry haven't read all the threads, but one suggestion. Create a gmail,hotmail,yahoo or whatever free email account is most convenient for you to use just for vendors, online shopping etc. That way when their "partners" [ever notice how you email fills up with unsolicited stuff after you put it into some websites etc?] it doesn't clog up the email account you use for friends/family/legitimate business etc. Just remember to give it a quick check every day or two and clean it out. The account you create should be the one you include on the address/email labels you leave with vendors.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM

How fun! I went to my first show yesterday, the Road to California! They had everything, I "drove" a long arm, so nice, I met Eleanor Burns, got some templates, patterns, ric rac....lots to see, it gives me hope and inspiration...the quilt photo is the best"winning" quilt of the show, the woman has only quilted for 5 years, has three kids and did this at night and took 6 months.....the picture does not do it justice...have fun!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165310.jpe  
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I also bring an extra set of batteries. If you are staying overnight, I have rechargeable batteries and bring my charger.
Don't forget to post your pictures so we can all drool LOL

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Back pack, good idea!! I'm going to the Road to CA on Saturday!
My hubby went to pick up tickets for my girl friend and me!
I'm so excited that I can hardly wait for Saturday!
Charge the camera!!!
Address labels
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
wear comfortable shoes, take cash, credit cards in a small purse and be sure to take a nice bag to put your things in you buy, camera, snacks, bottle of water

you get so thirsty at the quilt show, so I carry a bottle of water with me inside my bag

pick up the business cards, and if there is something you are looking at and can't decide whether to buy it make it down on a notebook with the booth # so you can go back later if you decide to buy it

Have fun!
I totally agree with all this. I have found that it helps to take a photo of the card which is attached also and match it up later with the pic of the whole quilt. Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:12 PM

Yes, they do have vendors. I found a smallish size backpack great. Leaves your hands free to shop.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by JJane
Some of the Quilt shows will not allow backpacks in. Ours doesn't. Enjoy the show and soak it all in.
Where in Iowa is the quilt show?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Des Moines at the in late Oct. Great show. Where is Jacksonville?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 AM

There are some really good quilt shows here in Ga. Some things I've learned to do:
1. take a look at what is in your stash, what you might need or want to add.
2. keep your eyes open, you might find something new to try.
3. pay attention....I almost passed that nice looking lady at the counter in a vendor booth. OMG it was Eleanor Burns!!!! She is so nice and had the most gorgeous man helping her in her booth.
4. Buy at least one fat quarter. I didn't buy any fabric at the Knoxville/AQS show and now I don't have any fabric memory of the trip.
5. Water, snack bars, and totes.
6. For me, money spent on food and drink is money not spendable on fabric and notions.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 AM

There are some really good quilt shows here in Ga. Some things I've learned to do:
1. take a look at what is in your stash, what you might need or want to add.
2. keep your eyes open, you might find something new to try.
3. pay attention....I almost passed that nice looking lady at the counter in a vendor booth. OMG it was Eleanor Burns!!!! She is so nice and had the most gorgeous man helping her in her booth.
4. Buy at least one fat quarter. I didn't buy any fabric at the Knoxville/AQS show and now I don't have any fabric memory of the trip.
5. Water, snack bars, and totes.
6. For me, money spent on food and drink is money not spendable on fabric and notions.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
wear comfortable shoes, take cash, credit cards in a small purse and be sure to take a nice bag to put your things in you buy, camera, snacks, bottle of water

you get so thirsty at the quilt show, so I carry a bottle of water with me inside my bag

pick up the business cards, and if there is something you are looking at and can't decide whether to buy it make it down on a notebook with the booth # so you can go back later if you decide to buy it

When I go to the shows I take a back pack which leaves both hands free to look at fabric and tools. I ask for the things to be put into the bag if the area is crowded and I can't take it off my back without hitting some one in the head. Otherwise it is on one shoulder which can be painful after a while. The money is in my two pockets the second being in my bra for easy access instead of trying to find my purse all the time. I take both food and drink as they are expensive to buy at the shows and I would like prefer to get MORE fabric if I like. I do stop at my LQS on my way home to buy last minute fabrics not found at the show.

Have fun!