Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going through withdrawals =( >

Going through withdrawals =(

Going through withdrawals =(

Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM

So i just started a new job after being an at home mom for nearly 3 years..I love being back at work, however the only thing that i even got to sew is work related things...some pants needed new buttons and my apron needed pockets...I am going through some major withdrawals about not being able to piece or quilt. I have every intention to piece or something when i get home but (for example today i was gone 12 hours) By the time i got home, spent some time with the kids,hubby and dinner i am just to tired to do anything. And now that i have to be up so early (4:30) my after the kids gone to bed time is down to maybe an hour-hour and a half...grrr So how do you ladys find time to quilt while working and quilting and why do i feel guilty that projects are going untouched? Hopefully once everything settles down i am going to be able to spend some more time with my sewing machine other then Her being just a day off fling. Sorry kinda needed to vent a little lol :D
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM

Just give yourself and your family some time to adjust to your new schedule. Things will settle down and you won't feel so tired and overwhelmed. When I worked full-time and still had 4 kids at home I made a deal with my husband. It allowed both of us to have some guilt free alone time. One night a week I got 3 hours of ME time and my hubby got the same. He made dinner, helped with homework, baths and got the kids to bed. (it was good for him and the kids) Every Wed night was family night. No tv, no guests, no sport events, no anything but games and time spent with each other at home. Once a month my hubs took the kids out of the house for the day and I did what I wanted to and I did the same for him once a month. So... the solution for me was compromise, planning and organization. I could really get a lot done even with the hectic family life and full-time job. Be patient - the fabric isn't going to run away from home if you neglect it just a little right now.... Family is first.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Bottle Blonde is right. It will just take a little time to get back into the swing of things and get settled into a schedule. You will get it worked out. Hang in there!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 PM

I'm retired now, but I made smaller projects, used easy patterns and bought kits. It is so important that you enjoy your kids while they are young and you will all adjust to the new schedule. Everyone will enjoy helping around the house and the higher level of organization and routines will help them grow into resopnsible, independent adults. The other posts have some wonderful ideas.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 AM

You will find your rythm!

Hang on in there. ;-)
Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 AM

The sad shape the economy's in makes a household need 2 incomes, sorry you are to tired to do all that you were able to do before.
Sometimes I think my hubby thinks it is easy to be an at home mom.
Last year I left on a Quilt trip for a week(1st time in 30 plus years). Mind you, we only have 1 child left at home, 15, he is home schooled.
our son (pictured in Avatar) said the night before I got home they worked till 2 am to clean, do laundry, and organize.
I work out of my home, with Longarming, so many days I don't have the energy to make a meal. I have done freezer meals, making 8 of the same meals at once. then another day make another, if you do this enough you have a nice variety.

Being a Super Mom is so tough!
I'll pray for a snowday for you! Not to much of a chance of that where you are.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:21 PM

I work full time and have one 6 yr old boy. DH goes to College twice a week. There are times where I am more tired than others but in general I would say that the motivation is what keeps me going on and work at night in my quilting.
When I didn't have a quilting room I barely quilt because setting up everything took me a precious 1/2 hr of the little time I had so didn't work. Now that I have my sewing room, I can work on my projects just 15 minutes adn still feel I have done something for myself. When my DH is at home, I would just tell him- "your turn to take care of Nicholas" I need to take time for me" and to my sewing room I go.
I agree that planning will help you. If you have a project going on- I bet you do- plan what you can do in 30 or 45 minutes and let everybody know that you "need" this time to rest your mind.
good luck. stay connected
Andrea
Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
Being a Super Mom is so tough!
I'll pray for a snowday for you! Not to much of a chance of that where you are.
LOL naww well maybe, We got about 1/4 inch of white stuff on the ground a couple of years ago..but it melts pretty quick. No i would have hurricane days and then now power =( figures huh. I have two days off after working 7 days ( normally i will work 6 on 2 off) and I am not allowed to do anything with work. My employee are not to call me, I am not even allowed to go into my restaurant on those days. Waffle house want to make sure its manager get some time to relax. I am really looking forward to my next two days off..Sat and Sun.

ps. I really love this board. It is great to connect and get support from people who have been there done that. You guys are wonderful!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by wytetygeress
So how do you ladys find time to quilt while working and quilting and why do i feel guilty that projects are going untouched?
Not sure but I'll be finding out. I start a new job on Friday after 20 YEARS of staying at home! I'm starting out 2 days a week but they are long days (8am-6pm) and on those days the family is gonna have to pick up the slack. I've been doing it for 20 years they can take a turn. Granted all I have left at home is an 18 and almost 17 year old (I homeschool the 17 year old, 18yo goes to college each day but lives at home)
I know that just these 2 days a week will be a HUGE adjustment. By October I hope to have a few more days of the week in my work schedule (that's the plan as they train me)

I hope to be able to find a set time each week to still sew and do other projects......we'll see.....

GOOD LUCK to you and your new job!!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shari1967
GOOD LUCK to you and your new job!!!!!
Good luck on yours too =)