Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Golden Afternoon pattern >

Golden Afternoon pattern

Golden Afternoon pattern

Old 08-22-2015, 11:42 AM

They are all pretty!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by newBe View Post
I'm trying to decide whether the curvy fabric will line up as illustrated, or be quite a bit different in overall effect. http://www.benartex.com/catalogsearc...ex/?p=2&q=aria
(The Cantata print is the fabric I'm deciding upon.) I don't know if the quilt will be symetrical and also whether the quilt will breathe, so to speak.
They mention the fussy-cutting of Cantata in the directions, so I would assume they have given adequate yardage so you could fussy cut as shown. As far as breathing, it is a rather busy, full design, and the placement of the border fabric in the block centers, being so irregular, really keeps the eye moving constantly. I think it would benefit from some quieting down; perhaps simply replacing the 4-patch white print with a tonal would be enough.

edit: oops, I meant the 9-patch white print.

Last edited by joe'smom; 08-22-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 PM

Default great tip

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
... I think it would benefit from some quieting down; perhaps simply replacing the 4-patch white print with a tonal would be enough.

edit: oops, I meant the 9-patch white print.
That seems like it would be a great modification. I'm planning to make this quilt for my daughter's wedding gift, so it is important to have a pleasing and peaceful look. I think using a tonal would allow for a resting point. Thanks so much for the advice, which I plan to follow.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:47 PM

It will be a beautiful wedding gift! I would love to see your version when complete.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:22 AM

I think it's a shame that people are concerned about the surroundings of the quilt photo.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:09 AM

newBE....I believe the curvy pattern called for 1 l/8 yd of fabric, if in doubt simply purchase about a half yard more or so to make sure you get all the curves you need or want. Left overs can go into your stash.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:04 AM
anonymous

Different strokes for different folks. I also like the quilt staged in front of the trailer. Works for me.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:55 AM

What a pretty pattern - Thanks for sharing it.

Susan
Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM

HAHAHA...I agree with you completely about where it is exhibited but I think the quilt is done and bound. Think I see some binding. As for the "stage", I think it'supposed to be artsy. You know, pretty, soft quilt juxtaposed against the old beat up trailer? Sort of like photographing a model wearing a bikini against the harsh rocks of the desert??? As for the rags hanging on the line with the quilt: I watched a home improvement show the other day and they used the same technique for a baby's room. Tied multi-colored rags on thin rope so it sort of looked like they were hanging on a clothesline and called it a wall hanging. So there we go. We just don't understand art!!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by newBe View Post
I'm trying to decide whether the curvy fabric will line up as illustrated, or be quite a bit different in overall effect. http://www.benartex.com/catalogsearc...ex/?p=2&q=aria
(The Cantata print is the fabric I'm deciding upon.) I don't know if the quilt will be symetrical and also whether the quilt will breathe, so to speak.
I like your quilt more than the one with the worn out trailer. Your pattern is much more complex. Part of what makes it a golden afternoon is the fabric choice. However I think this is a bit "busy". I would trade out some of the busy prints for a solid or two, just to give your eyes a place to rest. I like the curvy fabric but I would pair that with a coordinating solid. The quilt will be symmetrical depending upon how you place your completed blocks. jmho. I'm no expert! Good luck and show us the pictures!