Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Bargello Book >

Good Bargello Book

Good Bargello Book

Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Default Good Bargello Book

Could anyone please tell me a good book to buy for making a bargello quilt? One with clear instructions as I have never made a bargello before. (but I love the look of them) Thank you!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I like Twist and turn Bargello by Eileen Wright http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Bargello...argello+quilts But I can only claim knowledge of the book. I have yet to make my Bargello but I found her directions clear and very easy to understand with lots of pictures. She covers color selection, sewing order, labeling and offers lots of tips. There are several wonderful patterns in the book.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

If you are a beginner, I would suggest "The Bargello Book" by Piecemakers of Costa Mesa CA.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+book&_sacat=0

This was the first Bargello I made. Not expensive, original price was $7.50 for a new book.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I like Twist and turn Bargello by Eileen Wright http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Bargello...argello+quilts But I can only claim knowledge of the book. I have yet to make my Bargello but I found her directions clear and very easy to understand with lots of pictures. She covers color selection, sewing order, labeling and offers lots of tips. There are several wonderful patterns in the book.
that looks like a comprehensive book... using the look inside... i love the christmas bargello table runner in red
Old 02-10-2015, 12:49 PM

My favorite is also Twist and Turn Bargello quilts by Eileen Wright. I also have her second book, More Twist and Turn Bargello quilts which is also good.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
My favorite is also Twist and Turn Bargello quilts by Eileen Wright. I also have her second book, More Twist and Turn Bargello quilts which is also good.
I agree. I used her first book, Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts, when I made my first Bargello. Eileen Wright has instructions for a placemat towards the back of the book, and the instructions are written very clearly and simply. She designed that placemat (actually, making four was the plan, but I only made one) so a quilter could get the process clear in her head before she tackled something harder. I highly recommend it. Here is a picture of my first Bargello....(the placemat). ....and my second Bargello, Surf Song, which is also in the book.

Warning, Bargellos are addictive (and not really that difficult). I have now made 9.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001584.jpg   s8001611.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 06:11 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I think I will order the Twist and Turn book. Wowzers - your quilts are beautiful, Dina! The colours on the purple and blue one are stunning. Is it difficult choosing the fabric? I have visions of me taking forever trying to pick the right fabrics.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 PM

I have made two of Eileen Wright's bargellos her instructions and books are excellent!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509663[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509664[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
Thank you all for the advice. I think I will order the Twist and Turn book. Wowzers - your quilts are beautiful, Dina! The colours on the purple and blue one are stunning. Is it difficult choosing the fabric? I have visions of me taking forever trying to pick the right fabrics.
The instructions in the front part of the book offer very good advice about selecting fabric. If you start with more fabric choices than you need, like she suggests, that makes it easier. I had some trouble figuring out how to tell which fabric was darker sometimes, but I took pictures and folks here on this board helped me out. You are not in this alone, and all you have to do is ask.

At the same time, I really don't think that it was that hard to select fabric. I did a lot of thinking and I would make a selection and leave it for a few hours and come back and look at my selection. I also would cut a strip of each color and put them up on my design wall to help me decide. Yes, I ended up with some strips I didn't use, but another project always shows up. In hindsight, I think I stressed about it too much, and in later Bargellos, I didn't worry so much and each quilt turned out great.

I know that I enjoy the whole process and I hope you do too.

In fact, here are two more pictures, in case you need a bit more inspiration.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002131.jpg   s8001978.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I have made two of Eileen Wright's bargellos her instructions and books are excellent!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509663[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509664[/ATTACH]
These are beautiful!!!

Dina