Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a good deal? >

Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
Having a shop with a service center you can trust is VERY important. Making sure you can trust the people working or your machine is "worth its' weight in gold"
I could not agree more
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 PM

a good point, also, it says he has...what? 7? available? Why so many??? I'd be very careful here....better to safe up and buy from a dealer.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Well you could go on hsn........and check in the craft section which shows all singer machines and that one is there.....and then when you find it click on the video and watch what it can do and see if in fact its the machine for you....as a matter of fact tomorrow they are having singer machines on at 6:00 am.....11:00 am and 6:00 pm....Darlene always shows a lot of stuff when shes on hopefully this will help you with the price....Trish
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM

A good long lasting machine would be a vintage Singer. They last forever. I recently bought one from 1898 and learned here on the QB to clean and service it myself. It was fun to do and it sews beautifully. The next week, I bought one from 1925 and refurbished it also using the instructions of the QB members. Yesterday, I picked up 6 more machines. I have paid less than $100 for all 8 machines. Of course, I have put some money into parts but still less than the machine you are looking at. I now have machines I love that will go on and on, machines that I can give as gifts to granddaughters and machines I can sell (and recoup some of my money). Along the way, I am learning skills that will allow me to service my own machines sooooo who cares how far away the service facility is for others...your's is right there where you live. If you need parts, you can order them online frrom some wonderful places that are also willing to share knowledge and they ship PDQ.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:19 AM

I personally would not do a Singer. When I wanted to upgrade my sewing machine a few years ago I looked in to one and got it through Home Shopping Network since they were having a great deal on one. I returned it the day after I received it. It had a terrible stitch quality. The straight stitch was *okay* but the fancy stitches all scrunched up and were goobered up. There was something seriously wrong with the computer part of it.

I personally would avoid new Singers as if they were on a plague ship but that's my opinion. There are others that are happy with them...
I'd check out a Brother instead. They are comparably priced. I have had a few friends get them from Walmart.com and are very happy with them.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:12 AM

Hi Laquita. Count me in with those who prefer vintage Singers. When I looked at this one, I first noticed the small harp space which would make it difficult to actually quilt. In addition, I usually avoid computerized machines because they are such prima donnas. Combined with the plastic parts and known bobbin problems, I'd be very hesitant to buy this one, or any modern Singer, for that matter.

For my money, I'd look for a good used Singer 301 (portable) or if you have the space a 201 or 15 in a wooden cabinet. Model 66s and 99s are great too. They are all workhorses that will last forever and are easy to maintain.

Just my 2¢.