Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a good deal? >

Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Default Is this a good deal?

I've been wanting/needing a larger machine but have a very limited budget....basically the very best bang for my buck. I can get a Husqvarna Viking Prisma 990 only used a few times for $90. Should I go for it? I'm using a tiny Brother machine at the moment and well, it's a frustration factory when I'm trying to quilt anything bigger than a dish towel.

So should I get the Prisma or wait and see what else might come up?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 PM

A vintage Singer 15-91 is a good machine for your needs. Around here they can be purchased for less than $50 on Craigslist.........
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM

Yes, it is a very good deal. There was one selling on ebay for $295. I have a very old Viking, just a few decorative stitches and it is everfaithful...So, for $90 I would buy it. It has a lot of stitch options and if you only use straight and zig zag then it is good for that. Be sure that you try it!! Good luck,
Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

can you check out/ test drive the machine? if you love it it is a very good deal---if you hate it then it's not such a good deal.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
can you check out/ test drive the machine? if you love it it is a very good deal---if you hate it then it's not such a good deal.
I agree, try to check it out first if you can.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Update: I tried it out last night, LOVED it, bought it. Since she was moving across the country and was only taking what she could fit in the car she tossed in all sorts of wonderful things....ironing/cutting mat, sewing/quilting books galore, an iron that is easily heavy enough to be considered a lethal weapon, rulers, scissors, more thread than I'll probably ever need, basically everything sewing related she had. I'm so excited!

I never thought I'd enjoy meeting someone with a foot fetish, but I'm glad she had one....a sewing machine foot fetish I mean. I won't have to even think about buying any, it came with every foot imaginable, quite a few I have no idea what they are for(a couple have springs??), and 2, yes 2, walking feet! I can now ruffle, hem, zipper, roll, bind, darn, button hole, and quilt. There are quite a few guides and something sproingy looking she said was some sort of guide for cording. More feet than I'll ever use I'm sure.

I can't wait to get a few hours to play with it all, although it'll probably take me much longer than that just to figure some of it out. But it'll be fun!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like a great deal.

Originally Posted by codyormoe View Post
Update: I tried it out last night, LOVED it, bought it. Since she was moving across the country and was only taking what she could fit in the car she tossed in all sorts of wonderful things....ironing/cutting mat, sewing/quilting books galore, an iron that is easily heavy enough to be considered a lethal weapon, rulers, scissors, more thread than I'll probably ever need, basically everything sewing related she had. I'm so feet than I'll ever use I'm sure.

I can't wait to get a few hours to play with it all, although it'll probably take me much longer than that just to figure some of it out. But it'll be fun!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM

Good for you! Sometimes you just get lucky. Enjoy.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Congrats! Sounds like you scored big...........we're going to want pictures you know!