Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
good machine for free motion quilting >

good machine for free motion quilting

good machine for free motion quilting

Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Default good machine for free motion quilting

I've decided that I have to give up on my lemon of a machine and invest in a new one. I have a Featherweight and a 201 which will take care of piecing, so the focus is on FMQ, as this is where my current machine has failed most dismally. I'm considering a Janome 6600 or 7700 (the latter is the absolute top of my budget) and have had plenty of feedback on those. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has another currently available machine that has proved to be good for FMQ. A couple more pieces of info - Bernina is out of my price range, and I don't come across very many second hand machines, though I do look.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 AM

I don't know anything about the new machnes and FMQ, but I noticed you have a 201. I've used my 201-2's for FMQ.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

It is my opinion that most newer machines are about the same mechanically. So.......go for space and get one thagt has the largest open space.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by littlesurfer View Post
I don't know anything about the new machnes and FMQ, but I noticed you have a 201. I've used my 201-2's for FMQ.
Hi Little Surfer. I bought the 201 for FMQ, but so far am not having a lot of success. For one, thing, machine quiltng threads won't go through the tension discs - just the same problem as on my modern Janome! What threads do you use?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM

The viking mega quilter or mega quilter 18. I have the mega quilter w/9in harp; it's great and not finicky with thread even though mostly I use Aurofil. It runs around 1000 brand new. I also have a new Ruby w/a 91/2 throat but havn't tested the FMQ out yet on it. Good luck on your search. The mega quilter is really nice though.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
The viking mega quilter or mega quilter 18. I have the mega quilter w/9in harp; it's great and not finicky with thread even though mostly I use Aurofil. It runs around 1000 brand new. I also have a new Ruby w/a 91/2 throat but havn't tested the FMQ out yet on it. Good luck on your search. The mega quilter is really nice though.
Thankyou. Viking is Husqvarna, isn't it? I was thinking of paying my Pfaff/Husqvarna dealer a visit.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 AM

I use my Featherweight for FMQ and it does a VERY good job. Only problem it has is that the harp is small so you have a rough time moving anything larger than a double bed quilt through it. Since I do predominately smaller quilts, I'm happy with it. Nice thing, the machine is all metal and doesn't fall apart like the bigger, newer machines.

I have newer machines (including a 2005 White from my mom) but this old machine does a far better job than the other ones.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by VickyS View Post
I use my Featherweight for FMQ and it does a VERY good job. Only problem it has is that the harp is small so you have a rough time moving anything larger than a double bed quilt through it. Since I do predominately smaller quilts, I'm happy with it. Nice thing, the machine is all metal and doesn't fall apart like the bigger, newer machines.

I have newer machines (including a 2005 White from my mom) but this old machine does a far better job than the other ones.
I totally love my FW, and I'm sure it would do good FMQ, but I've assumed that the harp is too small. I can't imagine getting a double bed quilt through it - I have enough trouble with my bigger machine! But maybe I should give it a try.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:55 PM

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Brother PQ 1500s for free motion. I already have 6 other machines for piecing and the Brother PQ has a 9" throat. Allbrands has them for 599.00.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
I'm seriously thinking of getting the Brother PQ 1500s for free motion. I already have 6 other machines for piecing and the Brother PQ has a 9" throat. Allbrands has them for 599.00.
I also saw they had it for $699 and you got a 100 pkg. of Organ needles, thread etc.