Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good old Singer

I am new to quilting and I am currently working on my first real quilt, a rag quilt made from flannel. I bought a new Brother machine (used, but new to me). It is sleek looking and I thought I would use it a lot. Wrong - my mom's old Singer 15-90 sews through the flannel and batting layers like a dream. The Brother sounds like it is about to die. I just bought a Singer 99K which I am cleaning up and I am sure it will run just as well as it's big brother. I love my old Singer and when I use it I feel my mom stitching along beside me.

I agree, I love sewing/quilting with the older machines.

ditto

I like my old machines as well. Maybe have the Brother serviced if it hasn't been recently? Might just need a good ol' dusting and cleaning to run smoothly.

Now ya got it Briar - Quilts and old Singers go hand in hand.
    Don't give up on that Brother though. I'd get her serviced and keep her nearby.

Blog Entries
    Yep got a 15-91 ! Have yet tto quilt with it. Just got quilting foot!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Briarberry
    I am new to quilting and I am currently working on my first real quilt, a rag quilt made from flannel. I bought a new Brother machine (used, but new to me). It is sleek looking and I thought I would use it a lot. Wrong - my mom's old Singer 15-90 sews through the flannel and batting layers like a dream. The Brother sounds like it is about to die. I just bought a Singer 99K which I am cleaning up and I am sure it will run just as well as it's big brother. I love my old Singer and when I use it I feel my mom stitching along beside me.
    I am also making a flannel rag quilt on my Brother and I have had no problem whatsoever. I bet she just needs a good cleaning! Especially, the bobbin case. I was shocked when I took mine out after learning how to! I couldn't believe all the dust that built up in it! Get her cleaned, maybe put in a new needle and don't give up on her. What model of Brother is she?

I like old machines too.

Love the old Singers! They can't be beat.
    But my relatively new Brother is a good one too, so I'd say check out the cleaning, rethreading, new needle routine and see if he won't refresh and work well too.

I won't give up on the Brother, I need to learn more about it. It's a XL3750 and I only paid $35 for it. It sews well on other things but didn't like the bulk of the quilt. Thanks for the advice, I will give it a good cleaning when I figure how how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast