Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Quilting books >

Good Quilting books

Good Quilting books

Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 AM

Thanks so much for all the great responses. This will help alot.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Judy Martin has some great books with gorgeous quilt patterns, and advice on some excellent quilting techniques.

When I started quilting I thought that surely I would only need a few good books. Now my library has grown well beyond that initial estimate - and is still growing.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 PM

Don't forget there are tons of free patterns online. Also, browse quilt books on Amazon and eBay to find the style you like: scrappy, strip pieced, modern style, etc. Once you see one you like, buy the book used. When I first got started quilting I spent hours looking at quilt images online (still do!) to figure out the styles I liked and with an easy level of difficulty. Just Google "easy quilt patterns", "free quilt patterns", "modern quilts", etc. And have fun!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM

I love Denyse Schmidt's Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration. It's really the book that got me back into quilting after I'd quit for a few years.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Don't forget there are tons of free patterns online. Also, browse quilt books on Amazon and eBay to find the style you like: scrappy, strip pieced, modern style, etc. Once you see one you like, buy the book used. When I first got started quilting I spent hours looking at quilt images online (still do!) to figure out the styles I liked and with an easy level of difficulty. Just Google "easy quilt patterns", "free quilt patterns", "modern quilts", etc. And have fun!
I'm a booker. LOL, I have purchased a book for anything and everything I do, that said, I haven't purchased a book in years (except at a thrift shop for a $1). Way too much free info on the internet and many, jmany with video. I find video, where I can see what they are doing, way more helpful.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 AM

Darlene Zimmerman has a great book. Many useful techniques and easy to understand. Eleanor Burns' books are great too. Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Co. is another good source.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 AM

Eleanor Burns books are great. She always has easy ways of doing the more challenging blocks. She also is a lot of fun. She has a lot of videos on her Quilt in a Day site too. Also Jenny Doan is another great one. She is always looking for easier ways of doing things. I love both of them. Her videos are on her site also. Missouri Star Quilt. Good luck & have fun!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Quilt In A Day. This website is Eleanor Burns and she has the easy way of doing quilting down pat.
Have several of her books and all are great. The site also has videos.
Yes, I learned the basics with a couple Quilt In A Day books. Her directions are clear & with pictures. There were no YouTube videos when I started quilting in the 90's.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:43 AM

I have several (make that a lot of) quilt books. But the one that really explains everything in detail is QUILTING FOR DUMMIES. I also like the Crocheting for Dummies and the Knitting for Dummies books.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:06 PM

I too use this and it is wonderful. Mine is paperback, has everything in it.

Originally Posted by Silvia75 View Post
i have found the most helpful resource for quilting techniques to be The Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I bought the hard cover spiral edition in 2002 and have used it as a reference for every quilt I've made. It has a section for every area and technique of quilting. I have found it especially helpful for guidance in sizing and piecing quilt backs (and hanging sleeves) as well as quilt binding. Not much in patterns but handy when I forget how to join the ends of binding when sewing it on the quilt.