Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got behind on my BOM >

Got behind on my BOM

Got behind on my BOM

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Smile Got behind on my BOM

I got 5 months behind on my BOM. I'm doing AMISH WITH A TWIST 2. Got to month 9 and thought "Gee that's a lot of fabric." Then I read the directions... Have to make 28 blocks! I feel like I've been cutting for days. And I still have 2 months and the border to do. Those who have made this quilt will know what I'm talking about. That's a lot of cutting 1.5" strips. Wish me luck... I want to finish the top by the end of the year.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault View Post
I got 5 months behind on my BOM. I'm doing AMISH WITH A TWIST 2. Got to month 9 and thought "Gee that's a lot of fabric." Then I read the directions... Have to make 28 blocks! I feel like I've been cutting for days. And I still have 2 months and the border to do. Those who have made this quilt will know what I'm talking about. That's a lot of cutting 1.5" strips. Wish me luck... I want to finish the top by the end of the year.
I'm behind on two different BOM. In my defense I moved 4 times since June.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:02 PM

It is hard to keep up with the BOMs. When I start a quilt I go like gangbusters -- if I have to wait for 2-3 weeks for the next installment it is very difficult. I find that many times I have moved to another project and don't get back to the first one. This year I did try a different method. I made the first BOM each month, then I spent a week making AG doll clothes. Then I did the other BOM. Sometimes I was able to do all 3 in a week -- then I had 3 weeks to work on other projects. I liked doing it that way -- I was really accomplishing a lot and keeping on track.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 PM

I'm doing Amish With a Twist 2 also. It started in August and i have done NOTHING! Sure love the colors tho!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 AM

I'm behind with my BOM, too..... like 6 years behind. I am planning to get back at it in 2014...... for sure. I don't have many UFOs but I really want to finish them up this year. I did get a few done this year so getting back at it is a good thing. I used to always finish one quilt before I started a new one..... then something happened and I got a bunch of unfinished quilts in a pile. I need to get back to my original plan.... 1 or maybe 2 quilts at a time. It's less stressful for me.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 AM

I started my first BOM at a LQS in '09- got all the blocks done, but not the rest. Our quilt group started one- not finished yet. In Jan. i started Craftsy's BOM 2012 & 13, and a cat calendar BOM, did a few months of each and got majorly sidetracked with projects for something else. I have a few baby quilts to sandwich and quilt so I'm ready for a while with baby gifts and then i'm going to tackle my recent WIP. Oh and i have a quilt that i started for my mom about the same time as the BOM that i need to finish in the next few months too! If Craftsy does a BOM this year, I'm going to wait for a awhile to start it.
I guess the theory of BOm is that you only have to do 1 or 2 a month- that's nice - if it happens that way. Lol
Old 12-15-2013, 06:29 AM

I am also doing Amish with a Twist 2 but I did keep up with that one. (I have done many other BOMs and not been able to keep up especially with the ones with applique. I usually hand applique and I just can't do it that fast .) I have found that if I get started on the next block as soon as I can, then I usually finish it on time. That being said, I have had last month of Amish with a Twist 2 since December 4th and haven't started it. It is only a wide border with cornerstones so I don't think I will have any problems finishing it by January 4th but you never know. I remember that month with all the cutting and all the piecing. It took forever!!! Hang in there. The rest is pretty easy. I do have a question though. I noticed that the material fringed a lot!!!! I had so much cleaning up to do to get all the stringy things off. Did you have this problem too? The lady at the quilt store said that solid fabrics don't get woven as tightly and that might have done it. All I know is that I don't want to do another one with that problem.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 AM

I have had the same problem... strings everywhere.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM

This BOM sounds very interesting. Is there a picture or link that shows it?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Hancocks of Paducah has one here: http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MF-AWAT2-QK