Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Got Some Wool Batting Today

Got Some Wool Batting Today

A quilter in our area is downsizing, and today I got 2 queen wool batts from her. They are "Hobbs Heirloom Premium." I have not worked with wool batting before and would like to hear from board members about how it handles and any tips. I am always concerned about natural fiber batts shrinking, but this package states that there is no shrinkage.

Dayle

I don't know about shrinkage, yet. I've been hand quilting a queen size quilt with Hobbs Heirloom Wool (not sure about the Premium part). It needles quite nicely. It's a little thicker than the polyester batts I've used, but the thickness makes the quilting really stand out, which I like.

Janet

Blog Entries
    I used that exact batting in a twin size batik quilt and just LOVE it! It was easy to quilt and flufs up very nicely with washing and drying. Wonderful stuff in my opinion!
    Wendy

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I love wool batting. I use it in all my quilts except table runners and wall hangings. It makes them so much warmer. I don't quilt, so I don't know anything about how easy it is to work with, only that it looks nicer because it makes the quilt thicker and it's so much warmer than cotton, to me.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I LOVE WOOL BATTS- THE HOBBS AND THE DREAM WOOL!!! they are wonderful to quilt, drape beautifully- are lightweight- fluffy-cozy---FABULOUS!!! if i could afford to i would always use wool batts- but since they are (top shelf) i save them for special quilts. the quilt that lives on my bed has a wool batt in it- it gets tossed into the washer & dryer every now & then- been washed/dried probably half a dozen times- i love hugging that quilt fresh out of the dryer! it is so fluffy & soft!!! and they do not shrink like cotton batts... i dry mine in a regular setting dryer.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have a whole bolt of that batting & LOVE it! The only drawback is that it beards like CRAZY! So don't freak out the first time you wash your quilt (the batting washes great) & it's covered with furries.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    I used that exact batting in a twin size batik quilt and just LOVE it! It was easy to quilt and flufs up very nicely with washing and drying. Wonderful stuff in my opinion!
    DITTO! Being a natural fiber, it breathes so much better than polyester that people who find a puffy quilt makes them sweat sleep snugly.