Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gotta love Ebay (sometimes) >

Gotta love Ebay (sometimes)

Gotta love Ebay (sometimes)

Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 PM

OK, I didn't have enought UFO's, so while my wife and I were out shopping one day we picked up enough red, white, and blue fabrics for each of us to do a Quilt of Valor. We started them together, but I got a bit ahead of her. I was putting the last border on and came up short by about 16". PANIC! I can't believe this has happened! I was so careful measuring. I guess I should have had a clue when I cut my last strip and there was so little left. I normally like to have a half-yard or so left over for stash.

I went to the storage bin, but just as I feared I only had a 2.5" strip. I needed a 6.5" strip. I called the store where we bought the fabric, and of course they were out. I called all the other local stores (and a couple not-so-local). No luck. Ebay had the fabric, but I couldn't be sure the color was correct since I was looking at it on a computer screen. I ordered anyway with a quick prayer, and the fabric arrived today. Eureka! It was a perfect match. Lesson learned. Buy a yard more than I think I need.

Darren
Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 PM

So glad this worked out for you! I have found some great fabric buys on Ebay.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM

I know what you mean.

Had to go back to fabric shop today and get 1/4 yd. more of three different fabrics just to cut out 2-3 more 5" squares for the I Spy swap because the clerk refused to straighten fabric as it came off bolt. When I 'squared' fabric after washing, I had to cut a piece off each end that measured from 1/'' to 3'' wide. So maddenening. So, I ended up short.
Yes, buy just a little more than you need.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 PM

You lucked out finding it on Ebay. Yes, I agree, always buy at least a yard more than you need. You'll sleep better at night.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

And it will help your stash :wink: glad you were able to find the fabric :thumbup:
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

Glad to hear that the ebay fabric worked out for you!!! It is a good thing to buy that little bit extra :wink:
Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I know what you mean.

Had to go back to fabric shop today and get 1/4 yd. more of three different fabrics just to cut out 2-3 more 5" squares for the I Spy swap
***because the clerk refused to straighten fabric as it came off bolt.***
When I 'squared' fabric after washing, I had to cut a piece off each end that measured from 1/'' to 3'' wide.
Maybe a manager would have been able to help when *she refused*. I'll bet the person cutting wasn't into sewing or was new at the shop/store and didn't know WHY you wanted it straightened - or maybe she thought she was doing something wrong.

I had a similar situation with an uneven edge and the person painstakingly cut the fabric to straighten the edge and then measured my fabric length and then *Slowly* cut the fabric again. (Found out later *she was new*) Someone with more sewing experience or more time on the job would have just pulled the fabric beyond the Zero mark, measured and then cut straight!

I have a couple of chain fabric stores within driving distance of me and I prefer to go to one of them because they're 'generous' with their cuts. IF something is not straight - they allow for it. I do round up a bit when buying fabric but I don't think we should have to buy 1 full extra yard of every fabric we need for a quilt. Now Want to buy extra is one thing but Need to buy is another :).
Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 AM

I always buy a little extra -- and then when I get to the cash register and purchases are totaled and I think - huh? :lol: :lol: :oops:
Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 AM

The extra fabric buy, very smart purchase, is the reason we have SCRAP QUILTS!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM

I agree about the local chain stores having inexperianced help. Their cutting is sometimes off. I too buy extra just in case. The only time my ebay fabric purchase was "off" what I ordered the seller had sent me 2 EXTRA yards. I contacted the seller and she said she was closing her ebay store and that was my bonus!