Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace GMQ Pro >

Grace GMQ Pro

Grace GMQ Pro

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM

OK Here goes. 1st time on this forum. I have sewn and been a craft person all my life. I own 3 very good sewing machines and 2 surgers. I want to start machine quilting and am interested in buying a quilting frame to use with one of my machines. I have been researching the Grace GMQ Pro. Has anyone had any hands on experience with this product? I would appreciate any info that you can give me. Thanks Caro
Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 PM

Hi Caroltee, Welcome to the forum you will get hooked on here. When I can't sleep I check to see what is going on. just like now.
I don't know anything about quilting frames but I'm sure you will get alot of advise. these girls and guys really know their stuff.
oh where are you from? Thats what everyone will want to know.
Donna
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Good morning Donna. :lol: I live in 8) Arizona and am like you when I cant sleep I get online. Nice to meet you

Carol
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM

Hi carol Iam from Pittsburgh Pa. It's 1:30 here cold and snowy
Donna
Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 PM

It almost 12;oo AM here. Temp. is 43. and we have a chance for rain this weekend. Its been very nice weather. I live about 150 miles east of Phoenix and 45 miles from the New Mexico border. We have a small farm and love living in the country. Carol
Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 AM

It's 12.30am here in N California and 42 degrees, expecting rain. The Yahoo weather thing says "severe weather alert." All I can see is "POTENTIALLY VERY WET STORM BY THE END OF THE WEEK." So we'll see.

I love rain, but it's not good for my Dad's Veterinary business. For some reason people don't like letting rained on dogs in their car! :lol:
Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

I wish i could answer your question, Caroltee, but i don't have a machine quilting frame of any kind yet. I can say that Grace frames have an excellent reputation. they're among the best selling and most popular. i don't think i've ever heard a bad word about any of their models.

I only threw this post into the thread so it would move back up the page. hopefully some Grace owners will see it and give you more helpful feedback.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM

YES, I can say I have a GMQ Pro frame. I got it in late December. I also bought the Bailey 13 in mid arm machine.

The frame is great. It is a sturdy frame and I have the extention for King size quilts but have it set at 104 inches which takes up a lot of room.

At present I am working on the 2nd quilt. I have not had a lot of time to devote to learning to keep the machine running. Others have told me that at first you break a lot of thread and even needles. Little by little I am learning what adjustments to make, how to set the tension on the poles so the quilt lies flat on the bed of the machine.

I had made up about 8 quilt tops so I would have plenty to practice on and I am glad I made that decision. Like anything else, it takes time and practice.

At first I was afraid of the speed of the machine, but have found that the faster it runs the easier it is to control. Slow speed and fast movement winds up with broken thread and needles.

My advice, take your time and experiment. Do whatever feels natural for you. I am doing all free-motion in the beginning but other people do the pantograms. Whatever suits your fancy.

I hope you enjoy your new frame and quilting your own quilts.

June
Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks Patrice for the BUMP. :D

Thanks ladies for your input. It helps when you have someone else’s advice to go by.
Carol
Old 01-26-2008, 04:04 AM

I'm wanting to bite that bullet myself soon, I'm thinking of a Tin LIzzie or LQ16 ( I think)