Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: graduation quilt idea evolving; ideas for schoolhouse block setting?

My niece will graduate with a degree in elementary education. She always reminds me that I never made her a baby quilt, so I'd definitely like to make her a graduation quilt. She knows she wants black/white/red, and I have gotten school-themed fabric ideas from some on this board. It was going to be scrappy, when it hit me: a Schoolhouse block! Duh. But I don't think she'd like a traditional setting. I thought of making the schoolhouse the medallion in the center. Thought of surrounding it with some log cabin block setting...? I don't know, as I said, it's evolving, and settings are not my forte. Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance

there was a wonky house swap on the boards a few months ago -- that would be a great place to look for more modern settings.

=)

you could do a one person round robin, make the schoolhouse medallion then different kinds of pieced borders till it's the size you want. I've seen paper pieced books on shelves, crayolas in a box, school busses, lots of stuff