Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: which grain for borders?

Does it matter which way borders are cut for a quilt? Lengthwise or crosswise? I realize cutting crosswize saves fabric, but are there any other considerations besides pieced borders vs. lengthwise borders? Thank you.

as a longarm quilter I like borders cut lengthwise..... much less chance of them being 'wavy'
    I usually cut mine lengthwise as well, unless I dont have enough fabric for that.

I try and use the straight of grain, selvage side. It really does make a differnce. I worked for a shop that did custom dressmaking and alterations for a while. I learned a whole lot about what makes a project work and what doesn't. Using the crosswise grain is how you end up with wavy borders. By the same toke the crosswise grain or even bias makes it much easier to work with curves. It allows you to fudge your piecing more succesfully.
    Always remember that fabric is not a stable medium.

lengthwise unless directional, then both directions to suit a one direction quilt. If the quilt is square they could also be facing the body of the quilt. hope this makes sense!

length wise is the best but takes so much more fabric

Banned
    I try to select design that can use the extra from using lengthwise of the fabric for borders. Length works better as there is less stretching. However, I don't think it makes much difference in smaller quilts so all my crib quilts get cross grain as it takes less fabric.
    If you do piece borders, be sure they are pieced on the diagional. Gives a more continuous view of the border. Unless there is a directional print such as stripe which should be matched.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I struggled with the same question and have found that slightly off grain works best for me for quilts that will be heavily used. It provides very slight give for corners without being stretchy. Also, I use French binding for extra strength.