Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother needs help with quilt for grandson >

Grandmother needs help with quilt for grandson

Grandmother needs help with quilt for grandson

Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM

I agree with the disappearing 9 patch...quick, easy and it looks great!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM

those are Chicago Bears colors....Could he be a fan?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM

here is the navy blue and pumpkin orange top I am making for a friend who went to SU in New York.
I also did a block in navy blue and a brighter orange, which looked ok too. This is the day and night blocks, but it is not for a little boys room, but you can see what the colors look like.

What my grandson liked the best was the drag-around quilts I made from panels. One is a spiderman panel and the other is cars. He uses them every day.
Syl
Attached Thumbnails pictures5-006.jpg   pictures5-004.jpg  

Last edited by ThreadHead; 09-30-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:03 PM

I'm going to do this in shades of Orange and Navy Blue for my Grandnephew. It's the team colors of the local high school. I'm going to put a Giant M in the middle for the name of the town. Thunderbolts is the team name.

http://seejennmakestuff.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 PM

I too have plans to make a quilt for our GS. But I am doing an I SPY quilt. This would be an easy pattern for you to use also. Just cut squares, (you choose the size)and strip sew them together. You could add a print then a blue then a print then an orange then a print .....you get the idea. That way the prints wont all run together but will have a break in between them and still give him hours of enjoyment looking (I SPYING) the things on the qult.

Have fun let us know what you decide to do.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM
QM
Power Poster

Yes, please do.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM

I have found that just cause I don't like a color combo..doesn't mean the receiver won't like them! IF that is what he wants...let him have it! Make pinwheels or a 4 patch. Northern Star is my fav for 2 colors. You could use blue as the background and orange as the pinwheel or orange as the background and blue as the star. Or use both those colors as the pattern and use off white or black or other color for the background. Hope to see a pic!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 PM

no problems with the colors Not sure about the pattern though. Maybe pinwheels or disappearing 9 patch if you use more than one shade of the colors. Good luck!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM

I'll bet you will be able to find a print that has navy and orange in it. Once you find the fabric you like, the rest will come easy. Be sure to let us know (and see) what you end up making.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
I have found that just cause I don't like a color combo..doesn't mean the receiver won't like them! IF that is what he wants...let him have it! Make pinwheels or a 4 patch. Northern Star is my fav for 2 colors. You could use blue as the background and orange as the pinwheel or orange as the background and blue as the star. Or use both those colors as the pattern and use off white or black or other color for the background. Hope to see a pic!
Boy are you right on color likes and dislikes. I didn't like the color combo of orange and navy, but two people in my house loved it.??? I made stuffed horses with different clothes and colors and sometimes my kids would say they didn't like the clothes, like ugh! however, other people bought them and loved them. You never know!