Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Fan construction >

Grandmother's Fan construction

Grandmother's Fan construction

Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Grandmother's Fan construction

I'm working on a Grandmother's Fan quilt & am trying to figure out whether I should catch the edge of the fan in the seams or seam together the blocks & the appliqué out to the seam. Anyone who's done one who can share what you did?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I'm working on a Grandmother's Fan quilt & am trying to figure out whether I should catch the edge of the fan in the seams or seam together the blocks & the appliqué out to the seam. Anyone who's done one who can share what you did?
not sure i understand your question. but i think you mean the finished edges of the fan blades. when i do this block the blades are part of the total block. ergo ..the outer edges of the blades are included in the seams when the blocks are stitched together. when i do grandmothers' fan i piece the blades then attach them to the curve base. there seems to be two versions of this fan. or three. one has the ends of the blades all even, with this one do the outer portion of the block attached to the blade ends same as you do the base. the other styles with the pointed or curved blade tips, that is appliqued to the outer portion of the block. here's links to two ways to do this ..first one is sewn, second tute shows sewn then appliqued.

https://vanos.wordpress.com/2012/09/...n-quilt-block/

http://seven-stitches.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

this link shows the finished block stitched into a vintage quilt. note the edges of the fans are included into the seams odpf the adjoining blocks ....

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/show_pi...1248eaff553633

p.s. ....please do share pic of finished quilt! my fave blocks/quilts are the traditional settings of "traditional" blocks ..and grandmothers' fan is one of my fave.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:34 AM

I brought the top 2 corners together, sewing a seam and turning it right side out and pressing it. This makes a point all finished. I followed Edyta Sitars directions. She has a u tube video. After I sewed all the petals together making a circle, I appliqued my piece onto the background using invisible thread in a zig zag stitch very skinny. It was so skinny I didn't have to change my machine foot. A bit of the stitch goes on the applique and a bit onto the background fabric. Hope this helps. You can see my quilt by following my profile and threads started. It's call Dresden Blooms.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:38 AM

So, yes, if you you are only doing the 1/4 of the whole fan, then yes you would want the edges in the seam.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:58 AM

Your decision here, I think.........smooth edge can be sewn like drunkards path - arc to arc, while pointed or rounded can be appliquéd to background. Check out Eleanor Burns - Quilt in a Day tute on same..her instructions are usually the easiest and spot on......
Old 02-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Thank you all for the tips. Yes, I was speaking about the 2 straight edges that form the 90 degree angle. I will leave them unfinished so they catch in the seam & just applique down the curved edge. Thanks again!