Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmothers' Flower Garden Block...HELP! >

Grandmothers' Flower Garden Block...HELP!

Grandmothers' Flower Garden Block...HELP!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

you must stop at 1/4 at the end of the seams that will be stitched in again. Y seams. I just finished a hexagon quilt top i'd almost finished and put aside. i had to add the half hex's on two ends to make it square. i'd rather stitch them by hand than machine but I don't hand piece.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Daughter just finished a queen sized Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. I had found an old QUILT sampler magazine and the suggestion was to sew the straight seam on the every other side, which makes the center lie flat for as long as possible, as Patrice mentioned.
Back tack at the start and finish of each seam, stopping and starting 1/4" from the edge.
Then, the block was pressed, and then there were three U seams.
Forgive my brain .... I can't remember if the class had only one U seam and was grateful, but DD said that she enjoyed making the quilt following these instructions, so of course ... I just had to tell you what she said so you would have a choice <g> ...
It beats hand sewing, and you will find that you will KNOW the 1/4" seam allowance in time ... you will just FEEL it ... and, the funniest thing? It doesn't sound like a lot when you are first starting out, but soon, you will think 1/4"? That is as big as a HOUSE! lol
Well, maybe not as big as a house, but plenty accurate.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 AM

Thanks to all of you I got the block done. Not the best but my first time ever doing hexagons. Never again! I admire all of you with the patience to do these. I have seen many a grandmother's flower garden quilt and think they are beautiful! Now I know just how much work goes into one. Here as promised is a pic of the block done....rem not my best work for sure.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-23089.jpe  
Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I think it turned out BEAUTIFULLY :D :D :D
Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 AM

Yeh that's perty :)
Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 AM

I think you did just fine!
This is a quilt, doable with a machine, but more enjoyable for handwork, I think ...
There is a tool called "Hexagon patties" ... you cut the fabric, fold it around the tool, take a back stitch at each corner, whip stitch the edges together, and then pop out the pattie and start your next set.

Here is a thread on this site that discusses the concept:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15/10846.page

Now, the deal is, if you use the tops off margarine tubs, etc. Punch a hole in the middle, then you can easily remove the patties, but you do not remove the patties until you have completed a round, to insure that your hexagons are secure, since at least half of your edges are on the bias.
You cut the hexagons at the finished size you are wanting the hexagon to be.
I wouldn't give up on grandmother's flower garden entirely, because it is a good portable project, your little hexagon patties, your fabric cut just so, some thread, needle, crochet hook (for removing patties), all in a decorative tin ... people will think you are soooo coool! And, just think how easy you will make it all look, and you will sucker some more in to doing just as you have done :D
Now, I will share with you what I always told my children:

As long as the activity is legal, logical, ethical, and moral, go ahead and try it just once. If you never do it again, you will know why. But, if you don't try at least once, you may always wonder what you missed.

I will let you decide which you will pursue <g>.
Like it or not, you did a good job, and your horizons have been broadened. Your mom would be proud of her child for attempting at least ONE thing that won't give her gray hair!
LOL
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

It's pretty. Very sweet looking.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:31 AM

I say you master the beast!!!

I've got one started...and since you have brought to my attention - I guess I'll dig it out. I to started machine piecing it. Too many stops and starts. But I don't like doing it the English PP way either. So I just hand sew seams like they did in days (era) gone by!

I love your block and the way it turned out...You are AWESOME!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

Connie, your block looks really, really nice. You did a good job!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:54 PM

I've done some grandmother's flower garden blocks and really enjoy them.. my favorite is the size of a quarter. I have been told that the easier way is to plot colors out on paper then do the hexagons in rows. then stitch a long seam joining the rows, you do a bit of zigging and zagging, but no steep angles.
and I believe this would be easier by machine.