Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grandmothers flower garden (hexies) >

grandmothers flower garden (hexies)

grandmothers flower garden (hexies)

Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 PM

My first quilt was a GFG. It is hand stitched and hand quilted. I did just make the border straight as it was enough of an accomplishment for me to actually finish a quilt without adding the challenge of doing a complicated border

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485832[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0913.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by scjoan View Post
Here's the one I'm working on. Would like to attach a border, but don't know how. Would love to hand quilt it, but don't know what batting to use. So am stuck for now.
Well middle child...maybe I could help. Here's a little quilt I did using 1/2" hexies.[ATTACH=CONFIG]487561[/ATTACH] I cut border strips so that the quilt top overlapped the border about 1 1/2", pinning the strip to the quilt top, then hand stitched the qt to the border. I know mines not as long as yours so maybe a little tougher to do.
Have you thought of a wool batting?--would be beautiful to HQ. I MQ straight lines through some of the hexies. You should be able to see the stitching pattern. I finished a larger one with this size of hexie for our little NC GD. Now have to finish it off too. How big is this to be?
Later, cuz--G
Attached Thumbnails 001-3-.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by maxnme01 View Post
Here's my Pinterest page. There are a lot of ideas and YES I am making a GMFG too. http://www.pinterest.com/maxnme/quilt-hexagons/
Thanks for the link. There are some wonderful quilts on there.

Leslie
Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 AM

I am doing on right now and I plan on having no duplicate fabrics. I did use the same yellow for the centers so that they would have something to bring them together. I think I will be doing a very deep green or white between the flowers. I haven't decided that yet. I want to complete the flowers first so that I can audition the path. I also thought about appliqueing the flowers to a white background since I really don't want to hand piece all the paths. Will decide that when I finish all the flowers. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 AM

Sorry that I do not have any pictures to share. One of my many faults. I love to have them cut and ready to go. My templates are hexagons printed on card stock paper and cut. I cut fabric half inch bigger or more. I baste around each hexagon. But when I piece them together, I do it clock wise. It will make sense after you have made a florette or two
Start with the center, and whipstitch one petal. Turn them face up and add another petal by sewing to the center and then to the first petal. If this doesn't make sense, go to Youtube Good luck I am starting on my 4th GFG quilt. This has been over a 20 year span I am [email protected]