Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's flower garden QUESTION >

Grandmother's flower garden QUESTION

Grandmother's flower garden QUESTION

Old 12-05-2006, 08:48 PM

Hi,

My nemisis lately has been a grandmother's flower garden quilt. I've pieced all the 'flowers' and am now on the round center part.

How in the WORLD do you get these blessed center circles flat and not pointy?

I tried gathering the edges and ironing, too pointy.

At the advice of a local quilt shop, I tried sewing two circles together, clipping one like a 'y', turning it inside out, poking it and assaulting it until it laid relatively flat...it was never absolutely round, but there was 20-25 minutes for one circle! I don't have that much spare time! :shock:

I tried fusing the fabric to fusible web, cutting the circles and then fusing them to the flower centers....it was nice, but the stich I use would have to cover the unfinished edge....

Any ideas? :idea:

If it matters, I am sewing by machine and then machine quilting this.

It is a memory quilt for my mother of childhood clothes scraps of my sister and I (my sister died a few years ago and my mum is slowly losing her sight due to glaucoma). I am trying to get it done by July of 07 for her 60th birthday....maybe with some great advice I can take it up again.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:49 AM

If you are willing to do some handwork, there was this suggestion that worked really well for me. I think you should be able to machine sew them in place. Thank you, Suzanne!
In the thread called applique question, Suz wrote:
You will need a template (freezer paper, Templar or washer); can of spray sizing, paint brush, iron, and quilting thread.

I have taken several applique courses from Karen Kay Buckley, so the circle method is from her. I have nylon or teflon thin white washers in many sizes, however a stack of three layers of freezer papar will work as well or you can use Templar (which works with heat).

Draw and cut out your circles. If you use Templar use an emery board to smooth the edges. Using your template, draw the circle on the back side of your fabric. If you are using the freezerpaper method, press the template to the back. Cut the circle out with a 1/4" seam allowance. Stitch a basting stitch, round as you would for a yo-yo. While holding onto the thread tail, draw it up tightly around the template, dab it with sizing, still holding the tail, hit it with the iron. If you have any points, just repeat the process. Once your circle is dry, gently remove the template and redraw. Ready to stitch.

If you wish, you can stuff slightly for a raised circle.

For my smallest circle, I used a paperpunch to size my template. They were perfect. And I also use this method to make leaves and other shapes. The tips of leaves are perfect. I find this method much faster and more precise than needle turn.

Let me know if this is not clear. Suzanne
Old 12-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Suz

Interesting response from Norah! I was going to suggest you read my response for her and here she attaches it for your to read. Thank you, Norah.
Please persevere and get the quilt done for your Mother. Later she will remember your color selections and will be able to feel your love in the handiwork when she touches it. You must be such a blessing to her. Suzanne
Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks Suzanne & Nora!

I will order some of those disks and some of that templar. It was on my holiday wish list but the Hannukah Fairy came early and left me a Kitchen Aid mixer! :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement - I promise I will persevere and finish it!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Lisa
Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM

Suz and Norah - What great advice about how to handle circle applique! I can hardly wait to try out that method. I too have been frustrated dealing with curves, circles, etc. Thanks for sharing. :D