Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great Big Dresden Plate >

Great Big Dresden Plate

Great Big Dresden Plate

Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Default Great Big Dresden Plate

Someone asked about how to enlarge a Dresden plate pattern to make it 30 inches. I would have pm'd her, but I can't find the link. Unless I missed some of the answers, those of us who told her to get the pattern she has enlarged were probably wrong. It you do that, (I know because I tried) the hole in the middle is too big.

This is what I did and I just finished a Dresden plate that is 36 inches from the tip of one blade to the other and the hole in the middle is just what it would have been if I had used the smallest template possible.

I have the Easy Dresden ruler by Darlene Zimmerman. I laid that ruler down on computer copy paper that I had taped together to make a sheet about 8 1/2 by 22. I then laid a 24 inch ruler on top of the Easy Dresden ruler along each edge and drew a line 15 inches long. Of course, I did that on both sides. Then I drew a straight line across the top and across the bottom, cut the pattern out with a rotary cutter and voila, a Dresden plate pattern that will make a 36 inch plate.

If you don't cut it the whole 15 inches, you can make a smaller plate.

I think you could probably make the pattern out of something sturdier than copy paper. Whatever you decide to use, the big plate that I just finished--except for putting on the background and putting the circle over the middle-- is a stunner. froggyintexas
Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 PM

I did something similiar but with plastic folder material - those transparent stuff they use as report cover.
I did a 40" gigantic dresden.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

i have also extended the length of the EZ template. it came out just right
Old 01-18-2016, 10:19 PM

Thank you so much for this! I am making a 36 inch dresden plate. I unfortunately do not understand the directions. Please if you could show me a picture of when you placed the 24 inch ruler on top of the dresden ruler.