Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Great Ironing Surface

Exclamation Great Ironing Surface

This is a little off the wall, but at the local building salvage/discount store, I purchased a commercial carpet square- 24" square with a tight weave. The kind of carpet squares they put in commercial offices. It cost $1.68 and it works great as an ironing surface! I love it!

You definitely got a good deal. I always say, "whatever works"
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Most carpet is made of Nylon ... be careful with a hot iron.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Commercial carpet is made from Olefin yarns, not nylon, but EXACTLY the same warnings! Heat will melt the carpet which will not only ruin your iron, but also your irreplaceable project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
    This is a little off the wall, but at the local building salvage/discount store, I purchased a commercial carpet square- 24" square with a tight weave. The kind of carpet squares they put in commercial offices. It cost $1.68 and it works great as an ironing surface! I love it!
    I would be cautious about using that. There may be glues used to put the layers together, and they may send out volatile gases when hot. Also, as mentioned before, most carpets have nylons and other synthetics that will melt with high heat.

Haha! I just learned myself that carpet fibers are mostly nylon!!! Ask me how! Lol
    Bobbi
    Quilting happily in Tennessee!

If you have ever dropped a hot iron on the carpet, it can get ugly.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Blog Entries
    I too can testify to problems with hot irons and carpet. I have a perfect iron print in the carpet in the middle of my sewing room. I bumped my ironing board and it tipped over. I jumped out of my chair and grabbed my iron, in only a few seconds I had a burn in my carpet.

I would be concerned about the odors given off by the carpet fibers. May not be noticable but bet they are there anyway. If you have birds in the house I would also caution about using the carpet for ironing especially if giving off invisible odors. I would think it would be easy to make an ironing surface out of a thin board, ironable padding and fabric. You could make it any size you wanted for your needs. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I too can testify to problems with hot irons and carpet. I have a perfect iron print in the carpet in the middle of my sewing room. I bumped my ironing board and it tipped over. I jumped out of my chair and grabbed my iron, in only a few seconds I had a burn in my carpet.
    I did exactly the same thing. Only my complete burn the shape of my iron is off to the side so I put stuff over it. lol
    have been happily divorced from the same guy for over 35 yrs. Yay!