Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Great pressing solution - yep, has vodka in it

At our sewing/quilting friends meeting, Mary had just taken a class from well known teacher who said make your own spray for giving body to your quilting pieces: 1/4 cup vodka (can be cheap, 2 cups distilled water, 8 to 10 drops of essential oil, your choice, I love lavendar, smells so fresh. Mix, put in spray bottle and ola - it works wonderful. Mary said teacher said ok to put in iron, but I just can't do it so for me spray bottle works great. Husband was little concerned when I asked for vodka - thought I was switching from my healthy glass of wine a day!!

Blog Entries
    interesting!

Oops, sorry friends, sent message twice - 1st time I have send to the main list - will try better

klc
    Yep. I use it also. We've been discussing this on other threads.

probably the same reason bakers will use vodka with metallic dusting spray. The vodka vaporizes off as it's sprayed with the dust so I'm thinking the heat of the iron burns off what little vodka there is and leaves the scented oil without the oil spots. cool...i may need to try this.

gives it enuf body to stand up and dance im sure lol

Blog Entries
    Where do you get the essence oil ?

Tell me the essential oil is not absolutely necessary. I am fearfully allergic to fragrances.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyler
    At our sewing/quilting friends meeting, Mary had just taken a class from well known teacher who said make your own spray for giving body to your quilting pieces: 1/4 cup vodka (can be cheap, 2 cups distilled water, 8 to 10 drops of essential oil, your choice, I love lavendar, smells so fresh. Mix, put in spray bottle and ola - it works wonderful. Mary said teacher said ok to put in iron, but I just can't do it so for me spray bottle works great. Husband was little concerned when I asked for vodka - thought I was switching from my healthy glass of wine a day!!
    Been using this mix for years...Mark Lipinski brought this recipe to light a few years back in his Quilter's home magazine, I think the original recipe is still on his website!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Where do you get the essence oil ?
    get the Essential oil, not a fragrance oil...usually only found at a healthfood store in the massage section.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast