Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gritty Texture? >

Gritty Texture?

Gritty Texture?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Default Gritty Texture?

Howdy y'all :c)

I will soon be starting on a very special quilt, especially for a little 4-yr-old boy who is legally blind. Since they believe he is able to see colors, I plan for it to have a black background so the colors will really pop. But mostly, this quilt will be all about textured and things he can feel. I have been collecting buttons in various shapes that I plan to sew on at intervals on the border.

Where I'm stumped is in how to create a gritty texture on a beach scene block. I have some very sparkly blue fabric to use as the water, I have some shell beads to sew on, I will find something plasticky-feeling to make a pail, and will use snaps to attach a little plastic shovel. But I'm not sure how to make the sand. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can add a gritty texture that would be washable? Any help would sure be appreciated! :c)

Donna

Last edited by DonnaFreak; 12-28-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Lack of explanation
Old 12-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Maybe use a burlap fabric?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Mix some sand with glue and smear on. Or just put some permanent glue on the fabric and sprinkle some sand on. You might want to use a permanent washable glue.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

What about that texture magic stuff that shrinks the fabric all crinkly? It wouldn't be sandy but a nice texture anyway.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Mix some sand with glue and smear on. Or just put some permanent glue on the fabric and sprinkle some sand on. You might want to use a permanent washable glue.
I have no idea whether this would work .... if you decide to do this, test, test and test again.
Make a sample, such as a mug rug size and wash and rewash in hot water/dryer.
Also, check that it would not be toxic.

My first thought was the hook side of velcro for something rough and gritty.
Burlap was mentioned. And there are some other "rough" upholstery fabrics, particularly the backsides of them, but I don't know what they are called. Corduroy would give some roughness, but is soft and velvety, so not really sandlike.

You mentioned using snaps and you might want to consider other "to do" things ... hooks, buttons/buttonholes, zippers, velcro, shoe laces with holes, etc.

As another thought you might want to contact your national blind association for suggestions and other resources.

I am hoping that you are in touch with his family and have full details, rather than working with assumptions as to his abilities and needs.

How nice that you are doing this for him.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 PM

OK to wash it glue or Jewel-it would work with sand. My worry is that any stray sand or glitter might get into his eyes if used as a cover quilt. Can you make a feelie fabric book instead of a quilt for him? You could then put in a piece of sandpaper, etc., all kinds of goodies. That would be a little safer. (Sorry, I am a worry-wart!)

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Come to think on it, sand really isn't gritty. It is very smooth and silky. Living in So California, I practically lived at the beach during any spare time. Everyone walks on the beach without shoes. But I like your creative thinking. The suggestion on checking with a major site regarding blind children is an excellent suggestion. Good Luck. I remember one of my Dad's friend had a little girl that was my age. I enjoyed reading to her. I was very young and that is all I remember. Good Luck !!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:33 PM

that new chalkboard fabric has a smooth yet gritty type of texture. Perhaps you could paint over the black with a fabric paint to give it a sandy color ?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 PM

You mention using black background is that best for him or would white show colours better. If he can see colours which are the best for him. Some children prefer yellow or blue.
I once saw a quilt made for a totally blind person which wS made full of twiddle and fiddle folded blocks and had those squeakers they use for animals. Bells are also good tassels pom-poms. Etc.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 AM

Some fashion fabrics, maybe at Joann's? Are covered in glitter type material and are very stiff and rough. I saw a ton of it in the fabric district in NYC. Didn't buy any though, wasn't my style. Have seen it on priject runway as well. It didn't seem to flake like normal glitter covered fabric, but it was stiff and maybe to sharp? I have even seen a slightly softer version in ribbon rolls at Walmart. This was about a year ago, I don't know if it's still around. Maybe a tulle type fabric would give a good slightly rough gritty texture? Sequin covered fabric? Check the prom fabric section at Joanne! Please let us know what you settle on. I'm excited to see this wonderful gift!