Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Group quilt quilting question

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10
    I have a group quilt that I need to quilt. The squares aren't uniform, and are too big (9 1/2") to just stitch in the ditch. I hand quilt, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

    I could do something individual within each square, sort of following the pattern of the square, but some of them will be hard to do that.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Maren

    Group quilt
    attachment-279069.jpe

  2. #2
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    33,288
    Blog Entries
    16
    i see that the one square has a heart applique. you could do a heart in each block. since it will be a uniform quilting design, i don't think that would make the other squares look strange

  3. #3
    Super Member butterflies5518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,998
    nice looking quilt - good luck

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquiltmom
    I have a group quilt that I need to quilt. The squares aren't uniform, and are too big (9 1/2") to just stitch in the ditch. I hand quilt, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

    I could do something individual within each square, sort of following the pattern of the square, but some of them will be hard to do that.
    Why not treat each block as a min-quilt and do whatever suits that particular block?

    Some might be echo quilting, to make an applique pop more or to emphasise piecing. Some might have motifs. Some might have filler designs like grids or stippling.

    I think if you aim to give each block around the same amount of quilting, it will look uniform overall. But it would also have some of the fun of an "I Spy" quilt, as people looked to see how each block was quilted.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MsEithne

    Why not treat each block as a min-quilt and do whatever suits that particular block?

    Some might be echo quilting, to make an applique pop more or to emphasise piecing. Some might have motifs. Some might have filler designs like grids or stippling.

    I think if you aim to give each block around the same amount of quilting, it will look uniform overall. But it would also have some of the fun of an "I Spy" quilt, as people looked to see how each block was quilted.
    Thank you so much! If I do that, do I still need to quilt around all the squares in the ditch?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10
    Thanks very much!

  7. #7
    Super Member dublb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    5,292
    Quote Originally Posted by MsEithne
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquiltmom
    I have a group quilt that I need to quilt. The squares aren't uniform, and are too big (9 1/2") to just stitch in the ditch. I hand quilt, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

    I could do something individual within each square, sort of following the pattern of the square, but some of them will be hard to do that.
    Why not treat each block as a min-quilt and do whatever suits that particular block?

    Some might be echo quilting, to make an applique pop more or to emphasise piecing. Some might have motifs. Some might have filler designs like grids or stippling.

    I think if you aim to give each block around the same amount of quilting, it will look uniform overall. But it would also have some of the fun of an "I Spy" quilt, as people looked to see how each block was quilted.
    This sounds like a wonderful idea! What ever you do it will be great!
    :)

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquiltmom
    Thank you so much! If I do that, do I still need to quilt around all the squares in the ditch?
    I think I would go with some sort of quilting around all the squares, to act as a bit of a frame for each block. Since the quilt has sashing around each block, maybe just do a straight line down the middle of each sash? Or do a zigzag on the sashing only? Or some other easy, narrow pattern?

    To my mind, doing something like that would tend to frame each block and also pull it together as a cohesive whole.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Geraldton Western Australia
    Posts
    218
    love this quilt sorry cant help

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.