Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Last night I was cutting some 4" squares for the star ornaments I'm making. I cut my strips with a June Tailor 6" x24" ruler, then used the Olffia 6.5" square to cut the 4 inch squares. Every time the width of the long strip kept coming up 1/8 or so short of 4". Finally, I got smart and checked the June Tailor against the other, and sure enough, the June Tailor is a hair off 4" when using the 4" line.

I can overcome the problem The squares don't have to match each other, I just need to be able to fold them into near perfect triangles. Got some trimming to do.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Really, I will have to keep an eye out when I use my June Taylor ruler next time...thanks for the heads up... :thumbup:
Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I have found issues like this when I bounce between different brands of rulers. I pick one brand, and stick with it throughout the project now. It is not just this one particular ruler :wink: :D:D:D
Old 07-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I have found issues like this when I bounce between different brands of rulers. I pick one brand, and stick with it throughout the project now. It is not just this one particular ruler :wink: :D:D:D
I've worn the lines off my oliffa 5" x 24" ruler which is why I had the June Tailor one. I love the older one one but couldn't follow the lines anymore. What I really need is a fine point magic marker to redraw my lines

OR BUY A NEW RULER.

The June Tailor is the ruler that has slits to run your rotary cutter down to help cut accurately. I wonder if when cutting the slits the ruler lost that tad of plastic resulting in the size being a bit off.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36
Really, I will have to keep an eye out when I use my June Taylor ruler next time...thanks for the heads up... :thumbup:
If you use the same brand for your other rules, it may not make a difference. I was switching between brands.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
This was recommended to me years ago...has not failed me yet.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
dd

I have often thought that when matching the lines on ruler to the lines on the cutting mat too. Sometimes it seems like they are off a tad.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I haven't checked my June Tailor things -

but in thinking about how I cut my strips with a ruler - they are almost always a smidgen larger than what I'm supposedly measuring.

Example: I put the desired ruler line on the edge of the fabric - then cut - there is a tiny space between the edge of the ruler and the rotary blade. It might only be 1/64 of an inch or so - but it does eventually make a difference.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

oh i know that is frustrating. one good reason to use all the same brand rulers for one project.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I learned over the years to try to buy the same brand of rulers so they match, except for specialty rulers, which I have never used.

I also don't line up my fabric on cutting mats. I use the double ruler method and most of the time it works out well
peace :D