Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Guarding your sewing scissors

Blog Entries

Guarding your sewing scissors

As sewists, we all know the consequences of letting someone use our sewing scissors. They usually come back dull or notched and useless for fabric.
    I saw a picture the other day and had a "duh" moment. It showed a pair of scissors with a padlock through the handles. It was meant to be a funny joke, but I think I've just found the solution for my scissors!!
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Good idea. Rule #1 never touch my sewing scissors. This means NEVER.

That's a good one . Another is make the offending party buy you new very expensive scissors. They will leave them alone ether way or use both methods.

Funny thing is my 18 yr old now wants good sewing scissors...and she was the worst for using mine for everything but fabric..Bet she is protective of hers!!

Blog Entries
    I solved the don't use my best sewing scissors problem. I bought the same scissors I like to use in my sewing room for household use. No one looks for my good scissors as all the scissors are good. No one likes to use scissors that won't cut worth a darn. I bought four pair of Gingher dressmaker shears scissors years ago and they are still sharp and in use at our house.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 09-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    Got fabric?

When I got my good Ginghers, I showed to my husband and said, "MINE! NO TOUCHY!!" Then he told me a terrible story about him and his brother using his mom's good sewing scissors as a "ninja throwing star" when they were kids and breaking the tips off. I gave him such a hard time about it (in a kidding sort of way) that he got a guilt trip and bought his mom some shiny new scissors. It's been about 30 years, but I thought it was funny (and so did she).

that's the trick. Put scissors everywhere so they don't go looking for yours.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

When my kids were small (until they were 18 or so!) I left my good scissors in a cash lockbox! I kept the key on my keychain. Worked quite well!

Pam

It can be hard to protect them...agree that keeping lots of other pairs available for other jobs helps a lot to protect your good ones.

here's the picture:

Name:  scissors with lock.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  9.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    As sewists, we all know the consequences of letting someone use our sewing scissors. They usually come back dull or notched and useless for fabric.
    I saw a picture the other day and had a "duh" moment. It showed a pair of scissors with a padlock through the handles. It was meant to be a funny joke, but I think I've just found the solution for my scissors!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast