Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guess I am the only one... >

Guess I am the only one...

Guess I am the only one...

Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 AM

I was just thinking about this yesterday and today I see a post about who wears shoes when sewing. My grandma was the sewer in my family, and her presser foot was put on her machine to be used by her knee rather then her foot. I never questioned it as a child because hers always was like that and in school I just figured they were not like that because our machines were not the built in type like grandmas. So when I got my new machine and before hubby got it put in my cabinet, I had to use the foot control..wow was that different..and that little bugger kept moving on me. lol
Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 AM

Glue a piece of rough sandpaper to the bottom, will help keep it in place if you have carpet. If you have bare flooring use a piece of non skid material under it.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

i do not wear shoes when sewing mainly because we do not wear shoes in the house....sometimes i have slippers on, usually just socks though. to keep my foot pedal from sliding away from me i put a box behind it which keeps it where it belongs.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 AM

I use my foot pedal backwards, and press it with my heel - it's more comfortable and natural-feeling for me that way. My sewing area is carpeted, but I place a mousepad underneath when I sew on hard floors.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:11 AM

I sew barefooted. I taped a piece of non skid drawer liner to the bottom of mine. I found a piece of non skid drawer liner at a garage sale for 10 cents. I also use a piece of this under my sewing machine lifter and then that does not slide either.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:16 AM

I have a Pfaff 230 that has the knee control and my Juki TL98Q has one also. I believe a number of the newer machines have that option today. That said, you can use those rubber shelf liner sheets and cut to size for your foot pedal plus numerous other devices that prevent your pedal from moving depending on whether you have the foot pedal on flooring or carpeting.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Oh I love my knee control..it just seemed like I was the only one that used it that way. By the other post it seemed like they were all on the floor.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:23 AM

I bought one of those mess type rubbery placemats at Garden Ridge for 99 cents. I put one under my sewing machine too because it kept scooting across my table. Works great.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 AM

My foot control has a retractable cord, so I just keep that short and that keeps the controler from walking away.
Sue
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 AM

I stuck a piece of velcro, hook side on the bottom of mine. that helped a lot.